Would You Guys Trust Something Like...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SCT, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    ... like this

[​IMG]
    Actual Website CLICK HERE

I'm into cars. I work with and around all kinds of cars, from single figures to seven figures. Mostly between $70k - $300k cars. Occasionally I get to take them for a "safe and sane" spin. I thought about buying GoPro if you guys are familiar with it. It's a small video camera designed and intended for motorsports use including BMX, offroad, etc. But if this Delkin suction mount is trusty, as in I can rely on it to not resurface the pavement with my camera.

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have the smaller version (1 sucker) I bought for my LX5. I can use it to pull my van along ! I would still back up with a lanyard , just in case. I am working on fitting a manfrotto quick release plate as the screw method is a bit of a faff !
    Good product though.
    Edit . The arm is far to long. I know it is needed for some angles, but while in motion, it is subject to a lot of vibration.
    The camera really needs to be as close to the suckers as possible. Perhaps a third arm with sucker would help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The first thing I wondered when looking at that setup is what will happen when a grasshopper or other large bug hits the lens at 55 mph. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I thought about that as well. That will make an interesting picture. Now if its a rock...

But, a good filter would greatly reduce the chance of the glass of the lens itself from damage.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'd be more worried about marring the paint on someone elses $70,000 and up car. Owners tend to be picky with what you do with their expensive toys.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I second the additional lanyard w/padding. If the Delkin isn't too pricey I'd get a second one (or the one cup version) for the lanyard.

Good Luck,
    G

7. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I'm 100% sure it wouldn't hurt the paint. Even if it did, a little scuffing can be buffed out. You'd think a high price car would be flawless when it comes hand made from the factory. Guess again. And most of my clients... Well, put it this way.... They can buy 50 more. I can tell who saved and spent every penny on such car versus a person with super banks.

I'm not going to be using this suction mount a lot anyways. ONLY for nice pictures in short time spans. I am actually thinking of getting two, the second for safety and well being of my camera just incase if I decide to get this mount.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would imagine magnetic ones would be more effective.

9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    They use those suction cups to pull dents- I've seen them at the track as well.

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well aware there not flawless.When I sold them, if a customer saw a new car before it was PDI'd it could cost me a delivery. Expectations and realities are 2 different things. Rail dust, blemishes, etc... Are apparent on almost any new car when it is first delivered to a dealership, that's why it's inspected and prepped before being delivered to the customer, if they saw fresh from the factory they may not want it. I just know some of my clients would be outraged if you did anything of this sort with their car(s).

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    As others have said, I'd trust a device like this ... with a cheap, lightweight, secondary camera. I'm not going to use that suction cup contraption to mount $1,000+ worth of gear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Padding for vibration dampening? Sorbothane is magical for dampening. You could spend $50k on a carbon fiber 6 axis gyro stabilized dohicky ...

13. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    They worked with attaching the LASERS onto the sharks, they should hold the camera to the car.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Contour HD is another good option for this type of camera. I haven't used either so can't comment whether one is better than the other.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd definitely trust it with my Canon SD200, but not my EP-3.

Even if the suction holds, as mention previously, if a big insect hits the lens at high speed, I'd be afraid of the kind of damage that could result.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    I have had a beetle impact a 49 mm uv filter (cheap one) at over 125 mph. No damage but took ages to clean ! I would recommend putting tape over body joins knobs dials and buttons to stop the possible ingress of beetle juice and other body matter . I just tried to pull my gecko mini from the side of my van. It felt as if it would break before the sucker detached.
    I'll post some pictures later .

17. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I would personally trust the go-pro 1080 a little bit more. Rather I wouldn't want any damage to come to my gear via bugs or rocks cuz you never know at those speeds. The Go-Pro is completely covered in protection if I remember correctly and it is a camera with case made specifically for this type of use.

I have a few friends in my car club that go on the track quite often and for all footage taken outside of the car they use the go-pro and for footage of them driving they use a camera mount on the head rests that uses the tripod screw to screw the camera on.

The thought of anything hitting my camera when it's outside the car at relatively higher speeds makes me queasy in all honesty.

18. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    This stayed attached to the inside window of my mates 4x4 over some pretty
    rough ground, so i'm sure i would trust it on good clean paint work.
    Yes i would have a safety attached to any camera. And if i really did need to use a good camera i would give it loads of layers of bubble wrap and gaffer tape.
    The Gecko does stick like s*it to a blanket !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I'm pretty sure the weight that the suctions has to hold up play a key role. Something heavier tends to want to stay down and not want to bounce. I probably wouldn't have a hood on the lens though. It'll act like a parachute on a windy day and you're already on the ground.