Would you buy an Olympus FF fixed lens camera?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
In all honesty I think I would. My relationship with street photography is quite complicated but I love it nonetheless and it would be the main use of an Olympus 35mm digital sensor fixed lens camera.
On the terms of how big it would be we already know Olympus can make quite small and beautiful looking cameras, look no further then Pen F but one can appreciate the long abandoned Pen E-P5. What would take up a lot of space is an effective IBIS for the increased size of the sensor. If Olympus is to keep their reputation, and they would, of best IBIS it would need not just a bigger body then Pen F but also innovation and new design for IBIS (something to the example of magnetic induction used by Fujifilm X-T4).
The lens would be larger then what a Micro Four Thirds solution would be but there are compact lens designs out there for larger formats, take the classic Fujifilm X100 cameras or what Samyang manages to do for FE and they are aurofocus lenses too. I don't see why there cannot be a compact f 1.8 fixed lens for 35mm digital sensor, it will have shorter flenge distance as it will be optimised for the sensor, it can have the AF motor inside the body of the camera. On the focal length everyone would want something different but where the average desire would be is 35mm (some would prefer wider, mostly for those who prefer more architecture or environmental or close up to your subjects face, some would prefer longer for a more isolated look, less DoF, staying at further distance).
As for the rest of the aspects AF speed would be fast because of the optimisations from fixed FL, fixed lens, compact size, etc.
For the body design it would be close to past classic cameras from Olympus, probably ISO dial, Aperture dial on the lens, Shutter Speed dial at the top.
The EVF would be on the side like the Pen F to keep the retro look and away from the SLR hump but it would be appreciated the 2 way tilt with the 3rd tilt like Fujifilm does for quickness of reaction for street shooting.
Weather sealing would be amazing, to turn the camera in a workhorse in any and all conditions but it would come at a cost of size for all the gaskets and a cost of manufacture since its a lot of extra parts to account for, extra length added to the manufacturing and the quality control they it's up to par.

Such a camera, as dream as it is, would not come cheap as it would not see in droves like E-M10s or E-M5s. Manufacturing and resigning will be very high. I would not expect it to be MSRPed for less then 2.000 £...and if you want any idea of how I come up with that just take a glance at the MSRP of its main competitors: Fujifilm X100 and Sony RX1

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
No. I would not buy an Olympus full frame camera, fixed or interchangeable lens. I am hoping they stay dedicated to Micro 4/3. Despite the occasional rumors, I doubt Olympus will go full frame.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Would you buy a full frame fixed camera by Olympus?
Almost certainly not.

It would require a totally new lens system, and I really like the 4/3rds and µ4/3rds lenses I have, and I am unwilling to replace them.

No doubt, we'd have to give up something to get Fool Frame. I'm totally unwilling to give up size, weight, and IBIS performance for some seldom-used, marginal increase in dynamic range and high-ISO noise.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nope, at the same time i dont see me ever buing a fix lens camera.
I might consider a fixed lens camera for some specific purpose, say, Street Photography, but then again, I don't do much 'street' any more.

Peter Forsgård had a nice review of the Fuji X100V that made it fairly tempting. In the end though, I suspect it would be a frivolous purchase that would sit on the shelf of my closet.

P.F's. Video review

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
I might consider a fixed lens camera for some specific purpose, say, Street Photography, but then again, I don't do much 'street' any more.

Peter Forsgård had a nice review of the Fuji X100V that made it fairly tempting. In the end though, I suspect it would be a frivolous purchase that would sit on the shelf of my closet.

P.F's. Video review
Saddens me how the LX100 / LX100 II are forgotten these days.

I had a X100s some years ago. Got it by the looks (are really gorgeous looking cameras) and by the touted low light performance of the Fuji's. Until I brought it to a show inside a recording studio, together with my LX100, and the LX simply trounced the X100s in low light.

(Have a X-S10 now, the low light is much improved with the latest sensor in Fujis)

But the LX100s are even smaller then the X100 models, have a more versatile lens, good video with decent stabilization, enought resolution even for magazine publishing. Will never sell my LX100 - it is a VERY good lens, priced below even the Panasonic 12-35 (and with 1.7 aperture on the wide end), that comes with a very good camera attached for free. :)

Is the almost perfect companion camera. Would only put a front control dial, a tilt LCD, a better tilting EVF, and would be perfect.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Can someone please explain to me why the Fujifilm X100V camera is mentioned so many times in this thread and why DPReview refers to it as a "large-sensor" camera. It's APS-C! Since when is APS-C a large sensor?? I figured from all the mentions in this thread and DPReview calling it large-sesor, it must be FF, but no, it is clearly labelled APS-C in the specs. So what gives?? I'm not all that interested in the camera itself, but I am somewhat interested in the terminology and what terms mean when they are used. If the Fujifilm APS-C is the new large-sensor, then maybe m43 is the new APS-C? ;)

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
Can someone please explain to me why the Fujifilm X100V camera is mentioned so many times in this thread and why DPReview refers to it as a "large-sensor" camera. It's APS-C! Since when is APS-C a large sensor?? I figured from all the mentions in this thread and DPReview calling it large-sesor, it must be FF, but no, it is clearly labelled APS-C in the specs. So what gives?? I'm not all that interested in the camera itself, but I am somewhat interested in the terminology and what terms mean when they are used. If the Fujifilm APS-C is the new large-sensor, then maybe m43 is the new APS-C? ;)
AFAIK, the X100V is a very good camera - solved most of the problems that I has with the X100S. It looks gorgeous - 2nd best looking digital camera that I've saw in person (the best was, and still is, the Pen-F).

And it has a "large sensor" in terms of fixed lens cameras - the only fixed lens cameras with full frame sensor are the two Sony RX1 and the two Leica Q.

But, as I said, I prefer the the LX100 I & II. Much less expensive, much more versatile, much more compact, and you are not fixed in one focal lenght. Two of the most underrated camerass of all time.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
And it has a "large sensor" in terms of fixed lens cameras - the only fixed lens cameras with full frame sensor are the two Sony RX1 and the two Leica Q.
OK, thanks, that explains it. I didn't realize that a fixed-lens was such a determining factor in having a FF sensor. I agree that the LX100 cmaeras are very interesting. I'm not interested in any of these cameras, but I just wanted to know about how the terminology was being used. :)

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Saddens me how the LX100 / LX100 II are forgotten these days.

I had a X100s some years ago. Got it by the looks (are really gorgeous looking cameras) and by the touted low light performance of the Fuji's. Until I brought it to a show inside a recording studio, together with my LX100, and the LX simply trounced the X100s in low light.
I have had that on the horizon, untill today, when I bought a GX880 for 220 bucks, brand new over the counter.

The blinding flash of the obvious coming out from this is why the furk Panasonic just dont give us a LX with interchangeable lenses?

Its comes close to perfect in size and would be a most proper photograpy tool, add a slender battery grip into the equation for a bit more bite in the grip for handling the larger lenses and call it quits. :)

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
I have had that on the horizon, untill today, when I bought a GX880 for 220 bucks, brand new over the counter.

The blinding flash of the obvious coming out from this is why the furk Panasonic just dont give us a LX with interchangeable lenses?

Its comes close to perfect in size and would be a most proper photograpy tool, add a slender battery grip into the equation for a bit more bite in the grip for handling the larger lenses and call it quits. :)
It is not that simple.

First, since the LX100 have the "film like" controls - with a shutter speed dial instead of a PASM one - the lens needs to have an aperture ring, and most of the m43 lenses don't have one.

Second, the LX100 lens is so small because its image circle does not cover all the m43 sensor - that's why the LX100 have 12mp resolution (with a 16mp sensor) and the LX100II have 16mp resolution (with a 20mp sensor).

The LX100s are only possible because of the sum of all parts.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Isn't a GX9 kind of like what you described - the LX with interchangeable lenses?

Edit: people are typing at the same time. Yeah, that crop thing happening with the LX cameras is what always dissuaded me from getting one. So yeah, they are smaller than the GX9 and similars.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I dont really care about the size of the actual lens discussed, as the whole point is to get the body on interchangable lenses, even though I wouldnt mind seeing that particular lens with a mount, loss of 2Mps be dammed, it could also be that adding a mount on it pushed it far enough forward, that it would cover the full sensor. :biggrin:

As to the PASM switch, it could very well be added on top of the expo comp wheel, as it is on the GX9. It is after all, just engineering. It is the formfactor, viewfinder and weight that makes the thing interesting. :)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
If Panasonic couldn't make money selling the GM5 (which I have and LOVE to carry as a 2nd body, usually mounted with the Olympus 9-18), they probably wouldn't consider an interchangeable lens LX100. The GM5 body really IS as small as the LX100. Maybe you could grab one used?

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
If Panasonic couldn't make money selling the GM5 (which I have and LOVE to carry as a 2nd body, usually mounted with the Olympus 9-18), they probably wouldn't consider an interchangeable lens LX100. The GM5 body really IS as small as the LX100. Maybe you could grab one used?
I am second in line for a "reserved" second hand GM5 on the local marked. If I hadn't had a tire kicker on a Ham radio I was off-loading, it would have been mine. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom