Would you buy an Olympus FF fixed lens camera?

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Would you buy a full frame fixed camera by Olympus? Something like the Sony RX1 II or Leica Q2? I would love one!

I've been wanting FF and keep trying different cameras, and always end up going back to Olympus. I know some people don't want a FF Olympus camera because there might be a lose in interest in m43? So would you be interested in a fixed camera?

Real Name
Walter
I probably wouldn't buy a fixed lens FF camera from Olympus. They don't even make an M43 fixed lens camera. When Olympus brought out the jewel-like OM series of 35mm film cameras, they also had jewel-like lenses (in comparison to the Nikons and Canons of their day). However, in these days of highly-corrected lenses with AF and aperture control motors, it would be really difficult for them to build FF digital lenses like the OMs. They would be bigger and heavier. No question. Even if they could make the FF body smaller, the lenses would still be big. Would I buy an FF system like that from Olympus? It's far from certain that I would, despite being a big fan.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used to hope that Olympus would develop a couple of nice, small m4/3s FLCs, kind of like Sigma DP series. f/1.8 lenses. Old-school PEN styling. Optimized for FL/lens/sensor. WR. But I've long since given up on that.

Full frame from Olympus, meh. Why bother?

Susanne

Mu-43 Veteran
I would buy full frame only if it was still mirrorless, and still small cameras. And only if there was very clear proof that it performs better in low light/high ISO.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
If it were E-M5III-sized, had better batterylife, animal eye AF, a 40-60MP sensor and produced raw files that were as quick to edit in LR as the current 20MP ones. And make it with a zoom lens (maybe a 24-80mm f/4). And it better not cost over 1000 EUR.

Call me when it's out. :flypig:

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
A digital version of the film XA would be VERY interesting, even with a m43 sensor. Have one and it is absolutely lovely.

Put a LCD on the back, the rear dial is already there (the film advance dial), a front dial, exposure compensation where the film counter is, a front lever / buttons to control aperture, manual focus could mimic the original, EVF replacing the original finder on the center, a little flash where the rangefinder is, and a couple of buttons on the back.

The clamshell mechanism to turn it on / off and protect the lens is perfect. Make it weather sealed, and even a little bit bigger in height / width (trying to keep it thin), no IBIS needed for a 35mm lens.

I would buy it in a heartbeat (today the LX100 is my bag camera).

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd be interested in a fixed lens camera if it was lightweight, compact, weather sealed and with great IQ. Not sure it needs to be FF though. And I'm not sure that the Tough series has enough IQ to interest me, although I might try a used one eventually to see.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Probably not. I'm pretty happy with m43s, overall, and I simply don't see how moving to Full Frame of any sort, would benefit my photography, which I describe as 'thoughtful reaction' I think for me, it would just be 'gear churning'.

Real Name
Andrew L
It sounds too expensive for me (the Q and RX1rII are). I'd buy a m4/3 fixed lens compact from Olympus though! If it's done right, like one of their small RF or scale compacts from the film era, it could be a really nice camera.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus/OM needs to either further carve out their own niche or broaden their audience, and duplicating existing niche-within-a-niche products does neither, exactly the opposite of what they should be doing.

It is true, Olympus could have done better to appeal to street photographers, but I think a Pen F2, with tilting LCD and silent mechanical shutter, along with an updated version of 25mm F1.8 (and 45mm F1.8) with manual focus clutch, would already be enough to rectify that mistake.

Larger sensor compromised by a smaller and non-interchangeable fixed focal length lens for the sake of maintaining compactness and discreetness just seems like one step forward, two steps backwards to me. Even when people want compact and discreet, they still obsess about larger sensors, it is hard to understand.

Before I realized I was more of a landscape (cityscape) photographer than a street photographer, I was considering Panasonic LX100 as a replacement for my C-7070. A huge increase in sensor size (6x), but still small enough for a lens with 24-75mm EFL zoom and F1.7-2.8 aperture. I think that is a better balance, especially for a non-interchangeable lens.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I surely wouldn't, but hopefully it would entice the hipsters to get rid of their GM5 for bargain prices, and I would pick up one of those... :biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom