Would you buy a GH2 today?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NJH, Jan 18, 2013.

1. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Looking for your thoughts on this one guys. I have noted some blow out deals on the GH2 recently. Its tempting me as I bought the E-P2 this way which started this journey. I also had a little play with those Panasonic bodies 18 months back and really liked the ergonomics / physical controls that sort of stuff (more than the OMD I had). Thing is I have got really used to my X100 and more than anything I am looking for my next camera to be slicker. I can't recall but is the GH2 slow to empty its buffer, that sort of stuff. AF should be lighting fast? Not massively bothered about IQ, dxomark suggests it will be half way between my X100 and my old E-P2 which sounds pretty decent. Not sure though if I will find it a big let down after the X100 and its amazing JPEGs? I am asking this here as a more general question about experience buying last gen kit at knock down prices and Panasonic bodies in general which I am not familiar with. I have predominantly been an Olympus shooter but I have a lonesome looking 45-200 sat in the drawer waiting for a camera body to sit on.

Mods feel free to move the thread if it needs to go in the Panasonic section.

2. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    Yes, but ...

>Location: South West England

Good luck getting one at a reasonable price. I gave up after about of a month of enviously comparing the USA $500 body prices to stirling ones more than double.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I never shoot JPEG, but one thing I have heard from the folks who do is that the GH2 may let you down in that department. The RAW files, though, are fantastic, and I really love the camera, so my answer to the original question would be yes, I would definitely purchase a GH2 now, especially as the prices continue to come down.

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    If you need it for video, yes. For stills, I'd just get an E-PM2 unless you were really attached to the EVF.

5. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    G5 would be better now...for stills no?

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not sure how the pricing compares to the G5 at this point, but I'd certainly consider one, especially as a raw shooter. For jpegs, I think the G5 is probably a better choice, although the GH has that nice multi-aspect sensor that makes my wide-angles even wider.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm loving my new G5. If you are coming from the OMD you will not like the lower rez screen on the GH2. But GH2 is still hands down better for video if you are into that sort of thing.

8. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    To add some clarity I have found a GH2 kit with the 14-42 for £499 which is only about 20 quid more than the current best UK price on an epl5 body and about 400 quid cheaper than the best OMD price. GH3 body is currently at a high £1180. For reference when I bought my E-P2 back almost exactly a year ago it cost me £199 which was and still is an utter bargain for a superb little camera. G5 is currently 450 for the body so similar price to the GH2 which I thought was supposed to be a better camera?

I would also likely keep my X100, just can't let go of the thing so it would take something pretty special to stop me using it.

9. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    G5 is out. I got to handle one today, felt great in the hand but the rear thumb dial is the most horrid sticky plastic thing. I am sure the G2 I handled before felt much better in that department. I don't believe I have handled a GH2 though. Is there really such a difference between the models in this area?

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The GH2 is not a better camera for stills, it is better for video, it is a better handling camera, with more dials. I have the G2 (Similar body to G2) and G5, the camera handling of the G2 is better.
    The G5 sensor is a GH2 still optimized, tweaked sensor. Other G5 advantages are better LCD, smaller body and electronic shutter.
    Al in all the GH2 and the G5 are very similar and any of then will make you happy.

11. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to hear an opinion on, the handling is more important to me than minor differences in capability. I have wanted to have a go at videography ever since I stumbled on the eoshd website a year ago. The G2 felt fantastic to me just fiddling around with its various controls.

12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

last of the multi-aspect sensor cameras

I have a GH2 and like that it has the larger sensor that better at low light shooting than the predecessors and it has a true multi-aspect sensor.
    And yes i am attached to the built in EVF. I also like the remote port and the Form-factor of the camera is great for handling . I just hate that now the wheel is in the back for the thumb. I got it last month but I am thinking of selling it already since I never use video, even now that I have it, and I don't like the thumb wheel and i have yet to Feel that it makes a difference going to it from my G1 (I still have the G1) .

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've debated the question myself multiple times. I would love to have the multi-aspect sensor of the GH2, but I just don't know how I feel about the size...

14. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Its not a very big camera. I used to toss mine in the diaper bag with the 25mm.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    No, it isn't a big camera, but there is a noticeable difference between it and the smaller μ43 cameras. There are only rare occasions that I miss the extra grip that I had on my G2. Most of the time, I'm glad that its gone. If the multi-aspect sensor came in a GX size, I'd be all over that.

16. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I actually find the multi-aspect sensor a big and unique attraction. I like to crop to different formats depending on the image, often taking a picture a particular way knowing that I will crop it either squarer or wider. Its a real shame they couldn't keep that with the latest model.

Really close now to pulling the trigger on this one.

Its a related point but I made a conscious decision a month or two ago not to get sucked into chasing the latest kit, partly due to cost but also because the market is changing so rapidly its impossible to predict where each system will be in two years time. The GH2 seems a pretty solid established bit of kit to me.

17. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    Where did you find it for £500? I'm not going to steal your deal, as I gave up on the GH2 and bought a cheap E-PM1 instead, but I'm curious since I would have bought it if I had found it a few weeks earlier.

18. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    But even with the smallest pancake, the grip doesn't protrude past the lens so as an overall package, its not much bigger, unless you have on need for the EVF.

19. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The reason I bought the G2 was because of the EVF. Now I have a EM-5 and I'm happily gripless and still have the EVF. It's not about how much it protrudes, its about total volume. And I'm quite happy to be without it. I can fit the EM-5 into my jacket pocket without a problem where the G2 would have been too big.

20. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Harrison Cameras, via the link on camerapricebuster.