Would you be interested in Sony's low-cost FF?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Speedliner, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
  2. knikki

knikki Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Up North, UK
    No I wouldn't, I have a Sony Nex cameras like the one shown in the link and I think fitting FF lens to it would make it very unusable and not balance well in the hand.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. yves75

yves75 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    paris, france
    Personnally I wouldn't, no time (besides budget) to "mess around" with two systems and lenses.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd be interested, especially if it brings low light/high IQ at a value price. I guess that price is the question.

5. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    The lenses will still be expensive and big. It's not the cost of the camera, it's the cost of the lenses that matter more. We only buy 1 or 2 cameras, but buying lenses will never end. Also, I used to have A7 camera, I was never impressed with the file although DOF for portrait is really nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I would not for some very personal reasons (which I will omit as not appropriate for this thread/forum)...it would be very difficult choice for me to buy a Sony anything at this point.

Beyond that - my 135 sensor size needs are very well taken care of with the Nikon Df.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    You bet. I have a Sony NEX that I use as a platform for legacy lenses, since I enjoy WA and normal lenses and don't like the 2x crop factor of m43. FF would be even better.

8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    As usual, it'll be about the lenses for me, which Sony has been a bit short on so far.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sony's lens catalog is growing, but they are still on the large side and a bit pricey compared to mu43.

Edit: I might buy one with a single lens in the spirit of the RX1 or Leica Q. It needs an EVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    My current line of thinking is this -- If you can't afford what it takes to maintain a full frame lens system, don't get a cheap full frame body.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    What is the definition of affordable? I'll take one for $500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have an A7 the 55mm and the 85mm on pre order, but with nearly any camera for me noEVF no way. I like the series and the 55mm is a superb lens but its not really a low cost option apart from the 28mm and kit zoom all the lenses are pretty high priced. If you don't mind no EVF and one of the shorter primes are your thing (28,35,55) it would be a great option unless you want small then go for the GM1 or 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sony's low-cost 35mm-sensor is surely a used A7 body!
    Yes, I'm considering it.

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Not me. I'm waiting to see how much the upcoming Oly f/1 primes and the E-M1 Mk II will mitigate the advantages (or at least image style) of full frame. If they do an admirable job of that (at least close the few remaining differences to be comparable), I'd not see a need for a full frame kit to complement my m4/3 kit.

If I did decide that a full frame kit would still be good to have, it would be because I felt I could still get significantly better image quality. If that were the case (which at this point I believe will be unlikely), I wouldn't see the point in going low end. I'd get the A7R II, or whatever body I'd find most compelling and the most opposite of m4/3 in terms of strengths at the time.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    You need to consider the OPs question, which talked about this rumored value FF as a compliment to another system. So some of the issues with lens options are minimized, I think, and the idea that you have to maintain a full range of lenses is off base.

I decided a while ago that I don't want a body or two and a whole big bag of lenses. I prefer best tool for best job (for me) approach. So a value FF option with portrait length lens, and maybe a wide angle as well, might be very interesting to have.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I keep looking at the A7. Should I dabble in FF? - again! (I came from Canon FF). Used A7 bodies are fairly cheap now and I have a few old OM lenses that I could use on it. But then reality kicks in and I know that:

i) The IQ improvement wouldn't help in 90%+ of the situations I shoot in.
    ii) In the <10% of the cases where an A7 would help, I'd have to either have two systems (PITA), or else spend a fortune on a full A7 system
    iii) Even if I spent the money on the A7 system, I'd be back to a comparatively big and heavy kit and I'd constantly be looking to u43 for something smaller and lighter!

So, bottom line for me is this:

i) u43 IQ is pretty darned good for what I use it for (prints up to 16x20 and on-screen)
    ii) I have a good selection of lenses and bodies that are light, deliver great IQ and are not too big and heavy
    iii) I expect the IQ from u43 to improve as new bodies come out. I'm banking on the E-M1ii adding a slew of new features

The grass is always greener on the other side!

PS - I reserve the right to change my mind and pick up a used A7 !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    m43 is my main system. It is better than me.

When I look at those of my m43 photos that I think would benefit from higher innate capture IQ, it is usually because I have demonstrated my truly inept skills as a photographer: composition so inept that I have to crop out 3x more than I keep; or, exposure so poorly set that I have to apply massive gain to feebly lit subject areas that I should have known were the important areas to get right.

m43 challenges me to think right, act right. I like that. We're doing just fine together. My failures are mine alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When the A7ii was announced I thought I might shop for a used A7 until I held one. I've rarely held camera that was so uncomfortable to use.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    not without an EVF I wouldn't

• Like Like x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    interesting point ... not having had one in my hands, can you elaborate on this? What's your daily m43 camera OM or G?