1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would Wallis Simpson have owned a Ricoh GR?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Replytoken, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Wallis Simpson, the Duchess of Windsor has often been cited as the author of the quote, "You can never be too rich or too thin". And I think of her quote as I venture yet again on a quest for a "pocketable" camera with very high IQ and good ergonomics. I was hoping that my E-PL5 with the P14 could fill that role, as I like the camera, and I like that I have a tiltable LCD available (as well as several EVF options). And, while this set-up is quite compact, it just does not meet my personal definition of pocketable (shirt pocket would be ideal, but chest pocket on a fleece jacket is required). While I have high hopes for the upcoming GM1 w/12-32, I think that, for my purposes, it will be too thick even though it seems to hit the weight requirement pretty well. It is certainly small, but it is not exactly thin. I would consider Sony's RX100's, of which the latter model offers a titlable screen and a zoom lens, but at the same price as the GR, the call of an APS-C size sensor over a 1" sensor seems to hard to resist. I am not sure if Panasonic or Olympus could create a fixed lens m4/3rd's body that was as thin, or possibly thinner than the GR, but the more that I search, the more I am beginning to think that Wallis Simpson was right. I have not yet picked up a GR, mostly because I have not fully come to terms with the trade-offs that it offers, but there seem to be few alternatives for consideration with the exception of the Coolpix A. I guess the biggest questions that I really need to address are if I will actually carry this camera everywhere I go, and will I again learn to like a 28mm FOV (35mm equiv.). That, and will the GR ever get discounted like Panasonic and Olympus bodies.

--Ken

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Karen Carpenter might beg to differ with Miss Simpson about the "too thin" part.

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    :frown:

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey Ken, have you seen or handled a GR in real life?. What are the trade off you are talkign about?

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for asking. I know that you have had extensive experience shooting with the GR, and have graciously shared those experiences on several sites as well. I greatly appreciate the time and effort that you, and several others, have taken to share your experiences. As with most gear, there are always design trade-offs, and the Ricoh is no exception. I have always enjoyed using a tiltable LCD or and EVF, and not having one would be a trade-off for me, albeit the lack of either is not necessarily a dealbreaker. Also, I find that I enjoy shooting at longer focal lengths, but fitting a longer, fast lens on a body the size of a GR is not going to happen. Reading all of the GR articles/posts, as well as seeing all of the images, has made me curious about resuming shooting with a 28mm FOV. It is a certain way of seeing the world, and it would definitely change my shooting style if I was to "take up the challenge". I have not had the chance to put a GR in my hands, but I did get a moment to hold a Coolpix A. Both are clearly slimmer than the E-PL5, and are a good choice for a truly "pocketable" camera. I have considered renting one, but have not yet found a good period of time to do so. As I have also been considering som other gear for other uses, I have been trying to decide what would be my best purchase on a limtied budget. I would be curious to know if the GR is due for a refresh any time soon. Any words of advice that you (and Ray and Joe) have not already imparted?

--Ken

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Waiting for Ray to post here... :wink:

• Like Like x 1