would this kill the tip-or-flip screen argument?

how would a top-pivot articulating screen work for you?

• better than now but w/some issues.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • so crazy it might work!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes. Previous to the E-M1.1 I had the Oly E-3 which had the articulating screen. Besides not being able to simply tilt it out for a quick shot without fully deploying it out to the side, the way it stuck out on the side (like an old camcorder) always made me nervous of how "exposed" it was to damage if you should accidentally bump it. You know, physics, lever arm x force kind of stuff.

It was actually quite sturdy and, lets face it, who walks round with the screen out in an awkward position. You flex it to suit what you are shooting, then fold it away again either face in or out.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It was actually quite sturdy and, lets face it, who walks round with the screen out in an awkward position.
I don't know. I have seen a lot of them for sale with the LCD assembly glued back together.

Ya, no one would just wander about with screen out but for certain sessions or situations you could have it out over a series of shots, repositioning yourself, walking around to get different angles of something, etc. So it could be extended for more than a single shot. Plus I always thought it simply looked dorky when it was deployed, Of course one way to look less dorky is stand next to the person taking photos with their iPad. :p

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I think Fuji might have nailed the perfect flippy screen design for shooting photos with the X-T2, X-T3, X-H1. It does the normal tilt up and down (like the E-M1),

MM-FujiXT2-17.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...but it also can also be popped out sideways to allow portrait orientation shooting from above or below.

MM-FujiXT2-18.jpg

Unfortunately, due to loud chorus of fully articulating screen fans, Fuji abandoned this design for the X-T4 and we'll likely never see it again.

The best compromise between the tilting and fully articulating screen factions might be the X-T100s flippy screen that's hinged on the left:

Dd75TFRV0AEfMaR.jpeg

Of course, this design was also binned for the X-T200 in favor of a fully articulating screen. I fear that this debate has been won by the articulating screen selfie mob.

- K

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I prefer fully articulating, but it's far from make-or-break thing for me. It's funny that some people still cry wolf about the screens breaking. Sure, it happens, but it really seems like a non-issue. I remember when movable screens first crept in to the DSLR world. The howling was loud and constant about how they'd just snap off. Many, many people vowed never to buy such a camera.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just want the screen to appear on my glasses as a VR overlay

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just want the screen to appear on my glasses as a VR overlay
Well in theory this should work, though you would need to connect the cable to camera (or do wireless hdmi):
Notice the 7th picture on the page, where the guy has the VUF display connected to a video rig. Note, this unit only does 720p (1280x720). IIRC, most of the cameras can be configured for 720p output.

I don't know if there are any VR overlay glasses that show you the contents of a phone. If there are, then you could use the smartphone app. On many phones, you can produce HDMI output (mine isn't one of them).

<edit>
Here is a competitor to the VUF, which can take 720, 1080p, 1080i. It downscales it to 720p I believe:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom