1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

would these scratches really not effect performance?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tdekany, Jul 28, 2012.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    This lens is on e bay and the owner claims it is only cosmetic.

Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks!

14-140lens.

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    When shooting into the sun, it could be a problem. In most situations you would never see them. But why would you want such a lens? If the owner has taken such care, what else has he done to it?

3. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    If it's the right price, go for it. You'll never notice them anyway. Lenses like this can be bargains.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rarely be noticed.. maybe a little flare in certain situations (sun).

Someone once told me that a black wax pen followed by a element cleaning can help. It fills the deep scratches with black wax that can absorb light that would otherwise bounce around causing flare. Never tried it myself though.

5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    (assuming you are interested at buying it...)

Yeah... only if you can get this real cheap, otherwise get it from others. From the picture you can see plenty of scratch marks on the plastic. Like Hikari said, this lens probably has either gone through a lot, or was not carefully used, and might be just a bit too much for a zoom lens.

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Theres a rather wonderful look at how much damage a lens can take before it affects image quality over here -

Dirty lens article

Not particularly scientific but its still pretty interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you guys very much for your replies. I decided not to pursue it, but what would be a "good price" for such lens?

Thanks.

9. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    I wouldn't pay more than KEH's "ugly" price for this lens.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks! What would that price be?

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It would not effect IQ. It greatly effects resale price though.

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks. I realize the resale value.

I offered $300, he is asking now $350.

Initially he wanted $425! :eek:

Waht would you pay?

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Just found one for $425, never used. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!

14. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    If $425 is the normal price a used one in good condition goes for then I would pay $350 for that one in a heartbeat.... Unless I planned to resell before I got my moneys worth out of it.

The lens itself will perform flawlessly. You will NEVER see any effect from those scratches on a photo. Not even a little bit. Even at f/22 and shooting with the sun at the edge of the frame you won't see them.

But some people freak if there is the slightest imperfection in their lenses, despite tests like Lens Rentals that show how irrelevant such scratches are, and so about 20% (from 425 to 350) has to be knocked off the price because of those scratches. But 30% (from 425 to 300) is really a bit too much to take off the price for just 2 small marks on the front element.

15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I appreciate your info. I learned a lot form it, but as I said I found one that was never used for $425. It was a buy it now, so I jumped on the opportunity. Plus it is 90 miles from me. :biggrin:

16. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Unlike scratches on the rear element of a lens, which can seriously degrade an image, scratches on the front element are not usually a problem.

Sometimes, however, they can cause flare. But this can be prevented by carefully filling the scratches with what we Brits call "Indian Ink". I think it's called "India Ink" in the US. But it is the same product.

India ink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.winsornewton.com/main.aspx?PageID=111

I have an old SMC-Pentax A 35-105mm f/3.5 varifocal lens which I scratched very badly through sheer carelessness. It has two very deep gouges across the centre of the front element, one about an inch long and the other just over half an inch.

It flared badly when I tried it. Then I filled the scratches with Indian Ink. Result: its performance is indistinguishable from a near mint copy with perfect glass that I also own.

A word of warning: Indian Ink is not completely waterproof and wet cleaning of a front element runs a risk of removing some of it. I protect my lenses with UV filters so this is not a problem for me.