Would the Panny 45-200 with the E-PL2 make a good combo for plane spotting?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gdourado, Jun 8, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    I really like airplanes and general aviation.
    Lately, I've been thinking about going to the airport and photograph some planes.
    I can get to some good spots around the runways, and see the planes taking off and landing...
    I would however require a more telephoto lens to do it...
    The longest I currently have is the 45mm and it is near not long enough...
    I would like to have the Oly 75-300 or the Panny 100-300, but they are at least double the price of the 45-200...
    So, I was wondering if the 45-200 is a good lens and if it could do a good job at plane spotting with the E-PL2, which is not the fastest camera to AF...

Hope to hear from you.
  2. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    You might want to do a search for planes and the 45-200mm here and on Flickr.

This guy appears to be using the 45-200 on a GF1 for airplane shots:

FDA #5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have the lens and have gotten some flight photos of black vultures. I think airplanes would be a bit easier. Also, I think the 45-200 is as long a lens as I'd like to try on a m43rds camera without a viewfinder.

Some people will tell you the 45-200mm is a dog. I don't think it's a dog, but I know from testing that it's not as sharp at its minimum focal length as the Panasonic 20mm lens.

Flickr has a range of photos with this lens of airplanes -- see if you'd be happy with the results there.
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The 45-200 isn't a dog. It's a nice lens, also if I recall correctly...if you use the OIS on the lens as opposed to the IBIS on the camera it will stabilize the image in the viewfinder making using it at full zoom at bit easier. As far as the E-PL2...I should think an EVF would make it easier.