Would the EP2 with

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Gerry M, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Gerry M

Gerry M Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    U S West coast
    the VF2 be considered an upgrade from my G1? Is the VF2 equal to the EVF on the G1? I'm new to m4/3 and don't want to take a big (OM-D) plunge until I am more comfortable with the format. I have been using D80, D200, R1 & a couple of older compacts. I have 14/2.5, 14-42 and Zuiko's from 24-100mm. Appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Gerry

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would consider the E-PL2 with VF-2 to be a better upgrade, personally. It may not be made of as robust metal (E-PL2 = aluminum, E-P2 = metal-alloy) and is missing one dial, but otherwise it has a lot of performance upgrades such as much sharper image quality, better high-ISO performance, faster AF, twice the LCD resolution, larger grip, etc.

The E-PM1 is even a slightly better performance upgrade but a downgrade in terms of control from the E-PL2... but offers a much smaller size if that's important to you.

I don't imagine either of those options will run you much more than an E-P2.

3. Gerry M

Gerry M Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    U S West coast
    Thanks for your input, Ned. What are your thoughts on the VF2 versus the G1 EVF?

4. On my GH1 (same viewfinder as the G1) I find that my eye is particularly sensitive to the colour "tearing" that happens when you move your eye quickly and it makes the viewfinder uncomfortable for me to use. The VF2 doesn't give me the same problem. Aside from that, they are both fairly high resolution EVFs that do the same job, the biggest operational difference being the tiltability of the VF2 vs the eye sensor on the G1.

5. Gerry M

Gerry M Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    U S West coast
    OK, that's the type of info I am looking for. Thanks for your input.
    Gerry

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I woudn't think it woud be much of an upgrade. IQ is going to be really similar as are the EVFs. I had a G2 (basically the same camera as the G1 with video and some control changes). What the EP2 gives you is IBIS, warmer OOC color and the G1 gives you a bit better handling and controls. I would see it as a lateral move as opposed to an upgrade.

7. Gerry M

Gerry M Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    U S West coast
    Thank you, Thank you. I'm not in an area that gives me the option of a hands on comparison. Actually, I'm fairly pleased with the little bit that I've used the G1. After comparing them on Dpreview, they seemed very similar. Except for form factor.
    Gerry

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What sort of upgrade are you looking for?

The VF2 is a bit nicer than the G1 EVF, but it's not a big enough difference to upgrade alone for, IMO, and the G1 is most respects as good as or better than the E-P2.

DH

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's not a switch I would make. If you wanted to add an E-P2 for the different form factor or to have another m43 body I could see that but replace one with the other... probably not. I don't know if this matters to you but I find the G1/G2 form factor much more comfortable to use than the PEN form factor for a lot of things. I like my E-PM1 and E-P1 but I missed having that mini DLSR style camera after I sold my G2 that I went out and picked anther one up.

10. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

You seem to be leaning towards Olympus bodies, yet all except the OM-D E-M5 have basically the same 12 MP sensor as your G1 and therefore similar image quality. So why change?

I appreciate that there are many attractive looking deals at this time involving superseded Olympus bodies in kits with a lens and VF2, but you would be denying yourself the huge benefits available from the new 16 MP Live MOS sensors in the Panasonic G3, GX1 and GH2.

You not only get more resolution from 16 rather than 12 MP, you also get a dramatic improvement in image quality at high ISOs. I happily use my G3 up to ISO1600 with very little difference in noise from ISO 200. The same is true of the GX1 and GH2. You simply can't do that with any 12 MP sensor in the Panasonic/Olympus ranges.

So unless you are going to change to a far better sensor, why change at all?

11. Gerry M

Gerry M Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2012
    U S West coast
    Thanks to all for your very helpful responses. I will stay with the G1 and learn more about this format. Then, when the quirks/bugs are worked out of the OM-D, maybe head that way.