Would Replacing My GX85 with an EM5 II Be a Good Idea?

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree the EVF is a "smidge" better, but not going to blow you away at all. Weather sealing is there if you use the camera in extreme conditions regularly, otherwise it is also a non-issue. GX85 start up time is significantly quicker. And it's focus is significantly better in low light. Flippy is a big change, not insignificant.

JNB

Mu-43 Veteran
I purchased a GX85 as a second body to my E-M5 ii (it was a very good deal). After a few weeks, I decided to sell it and purchase a second E-M5 ii. For ME, the EVF in the Oly was just so much better, that I started to be annoyed every time I used the GX85. OTOH, I loved being able to use my thumb on the LCD of the GX85 to move the AF point. You can do that with an E-M1 but not the E-M5 ii.

number17

Mu-43 Regular
I owned an EM10 before the GX85, so I'm pretty familiar with the OMD feel and ergonomics. I do really like the AF speed and accuracy with the GX85, so maybe a G85 would be a better option. I may just wait and upgrade to a 20MP body that's newer, I just thought of jumping on the really good prices the EM5 II has been going for lately if it would offer me any benefit.
I was kinda looking at the EM5.2 but eventually got my hands on a used EM1.1 ... and I figure my next camera to upgrade to will be a EM1.2. Personal preference, but I really LOVE the ergonomic of the EM1.1 and love how the camera handles. My EM1.1 is my primary still camera, and when the price is right I'd upgrade it to a EM1.2 with bigger sensor, better IBIS, more features and better video capability.

number17

Mu-43 Regular
I bought a Gx85 as just a travel camera, one that I could use with the 9-18 & 35-100 f4/5.6 and not annoy my wife on none photo trips. Then I learned you could add Cinelike D & V to it. Ok, it is a "chunk" perhaps due to the heat sink, but It's IBS is amazing and for it's price I've found it to be a great stills (no filter) and when matched with a Tascam D60/Rhode mic a really good 4K video camera (A or B roll depending on what your are shooting). I now only buy cameras that have a specific capability that I need. Gx85 = travel camera, Gx8 = street shoot shooter, G9 = high res and Bif plus 60 4K/180 1080P. If I didn't have real reasons for owning the gx8/G9, the Gx85 would do everything but BIF that I need a camera for. Big plus is the builtin flash, I use that more than I ever thought or remembered from my Nikon APSC days.
I am just about to load Cine-D and Cine-V on my GX85 ... how do you like them, compared to STD or other pre-set profiles on the GX85? I don't do much video, and have no plan to do video grading or processing (no tool either), is Cine-D or Cine-V the right profile to use 'out of the box'?

I agree, the GX85 and its rangefinger style is quite ideal for travel camera. It is more than adequate for the occasional videos I'd take as well.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
is Cine-D or Cine-V the right profile to use 'out of the box'?
Cine-V is ok for some low contrast situations. Cine-D is for high contrast, but looks pretty flat unless graded, and there is not much headroom with 8-bit so I never used it. Better to get it right in camera... and for high contrast scenes I usually use Natural with contrast and NR toned down a bit.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Cinelike D & V have to be hack on the Gx85. I only use them when I am doing a 2 or 3 camera shoot and want to grade the entire project. Natural works well.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
E-m5 II = weather sealing and high res mode
GX85 = 4K

It's a side-grade.
Yeah, but none of those things are really the reason I would decide on one over the other. The main reason would be EVF compatibility with glasses. Wondering how the EM5 II is over the G85 in terms of viewfinder as well.

number17

Mu-43 Regular
EM5 (or any of the EM-family) is way better than the GX85 for E viewfinder. The GX85 has gotta have one of the worst EVF I've ever used. The screen is small, the fonts are even smaller, the viewing angle is bad ... it's barely useable.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Yeah, but none of those things are really the reason I would decide on one over the other. The main reason would be EVF compatibility with glasses. Wondering how the EM5 II is over the G85 in terms of viewfinder as well.
I do agree the GX85 sucks with glasses.

E-M5 II has a larger eyecup option that would surely help: EP-16 Large Eyecup | Olympus

Also, E-M5II has a bigger EVF. It's larger and it's 4:3 so it doesn't have to crop a 1/3 of it away when shooting 4:3 stills.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It depends, do you wear polarized sunglasses? The G85 (and E-m10 mark II/III, Pen-F) use an OLED viewfinder while the E-m5 mark I/II, E-m1 mark I, and E-m1x use a TFT viewfinder which has degradation of about 1/2 the viewing area when shooting in landscape (horizontal) orientation. Unfortunately, the E-m5 mark II when I tried it in the store, the viewfinder was completely opaque.

Now without polarized sunglasses, I find the downside of OLED viewfinders to be that they saturate the colors displayed, and you mentally have to tone down the image to get an idea of what the camera will record. If you liked the saturation you saw during shooting, you will need to bring up levels in post processing.

There are also people bothered by low refresh rates. The Olympus TFT cameras have very high refresh rates (which is presumably why Olympus uses them and has stuck with them for the mid/high end cameras). I've seen some people say they get less headaches when they switched from an E-m10 mark II to an E-m5 mark II. I've seen claims that Panasonic has an OLED viewfinder with a high refresh rate on the G9.

Your GX85 has a third type of viewfinder (field sequential) that a lot of people dislike because quick movements can show a rainbow effect in the viewfinder. I don't seem to be part of the population that sees the rainbow effect, but I find the viewfinder on the Panasonic rangefinder cameras to be too small to use.

FWIW, I wear glasses, and I have no problems (other than polarized sunglasses) with either Olympus cameras with a viewfinder, or the Panasonic cameras that use OLED monitors.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Well, I pretty much am, as I am not about to replace the camera tomorrow. I'd wait for a good deal.

Also, since you own one, do you wear glasses, and if so how do you find the EVF on the EM5 II?
I wear glass but usually when i do shot, i lifted my glasses. EVF? hmmm so so.

Real Name
Butch
I meant that my personal GX85 is long in the tooth, as in, I've used it for over three years now. I could see it starting to wear out in a strict hardware sense.

I'm a stills shooter, mostly street, landscape and general photography.
My GF1 is still working great as is my GX7 so you never know how long they will last...

I owned both the GX85 and the EM5II for several years - recently sold both off. I don't think you gain that much, if at all, with the EM5II compared to the GX85. I suggest looking at one of the 20MP cameras, such as the GX9 or G95. The GX9 has been around long enough that you can find open box or used at reasonable prices.

If you really want an EM5II, the official announcement for the EM5III is a few weeks away I think so, once that happens, I expect EM5II prices will drop.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom