1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Would like some feedback

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by dave, Oct 16, 2012.

1. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Evening all this is my first attempt at HDR black and white. I would like some feedback on what i did right or what i did wrong. Please feel free to share your thoughts and any tips you may have. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The photo is certainly nice and clear, but to me, it appears too light. I would like to see more deep blacks. Still, nice shot! :cool:

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    In this case HDR seems to have evened out all the tones, making a flat picture lacking in contrast. That may be the effect you wanted, of course, but what was it about this scene that led you to give it the HDR treatment?

4. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Well i really like how this looks as is but my intent originally was more contrast and darker darks. Im pretty new to HDR and haven't had a lot of time to play with it. To me this image the way it is has an old west film grain look to it and i do like that affect even though it wasn't my original intent lol

5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I'm not sure that that's a photograph that benefits from HDR - that looks as though all the dynamic range in the photograph could readily be captured with a single shot with an ordinary sensor...

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    If it's achieved the look you want, even though not by intent, then it's fine. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    What software have you used for this?

Apart from wide dynamic range, another area HDR is applicable is textures. In that particular case, I can't see if the textures in the wood (for instance) justify the effort.

edit: Just to clarify the above, this is a pseudo-HDR image (just one frame), which I think I processed with HDR Pro.

7687489612_cc94783ecd_z.

This was enough to emphasize the various textures.

• Like Like x 3
  8. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    I have several other shots of this and other farm equipment that i am going to work on soon as well. The software I'm using is photomatrix pro but i never seem to get the results some others do from it. Lack of knowledge i guess but then again i haven't used it much yet, this is one of the first few I've done. Ive only been using three exposures +1 -1 is that not enough range for HDR ?

9. It depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want the image to look like a HDR image, or are you just trying to display the full dynamic range from a difficult, high contrast scene? If it's the latter, your "+" and "-" exposures will be whatever is required to capture the full range of highlight and shadow detail that your sensor can't manage with a single exposure. I think that HDR (as the style has become) and High Dynamic Range have two different meanings.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    I agree there are two forms of HDR. On an image like this i would just like to show the full dynamic range but there are other images i would really like the artistic HDR affects. Are there some baseline settings i should be using like 3 shot for dynamic range and 5-7 for HDT artistic ?

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    There is no recipe. IMO, I can't see many instances where more than 5 frames are required and even 5 is like pushing it (I mean, c'mon, digital cameras don't have 10 stops of DR at base ISO anymore...). There might also be less or more than 1 stop interval between frames.

Photomatix tends to create halos around edges. Photos you see from, say, Tray Ratcliff and other HDR masters, are further post processed in Photoshop.

First of all, it's a good idea to work on all your exposures prior to processing in Photomatix. This could include noise reduction, white balance, pushing/pulling color channels, split toning, etc. VERY interesting results can be achieved this way. This is very easily done and it's very rewarding.

Second, if continuing with Photoshop, another good idea is to include and mix a standard exposure as a layer. In general, the "HDR" process is just one step of the whole process.

Of course there are two forms, there is High Dynamic Range and then there is Highly Desctructive Retouching. :biggrin::tongue:

Honestly, there is no form of HDR at all... HDR is a con word we came up to describe what Photography gods like Ansel Adams did in the darkroom. It's making the image telling the story you'd like it to say; in this instance by purposefully exagerating certain dynamic elements.

All this IMHO and YMMV (and should be, I always want to see photos in styles I've never seen before :wink:).

• Like Like x 1
  12. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012

13. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My 2 cents

I shot a lot of HDR - for me, it's too much HDR. You can see halo's. If you happen to have Nik's Viveza software (if not, try the demo version) try some "structure" adjustment instead of HDR.

In some cases, especially with B&W, it comes close to HDR and maintains more of the original look. This shot really didn't need HDR as the dynamic range was that extreme to begin with.

But as others have said, there is no right or wrong and we all develop our own styles.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It agree with Bob that the halos are distracting. Also agree that these things are subjective and that the most important thing is getting the look you are after.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

HDRX?

Maybe play a bit with HDRx! Check posts 14-25 in this thread.

More of the getting rich tones and dynamic ranges as opposed to 'that HDR look'. I think it will also reduce the apearence of those distracting 'halo' artifacts (maybe not).

16. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    Currently I have Lightroom 4, photo matrix pro, and adobe design premium suite CS 5.5. Those suggestions sound interesting I will defiantly check them out thanks for the advice all.