Would I regret it?

kevwilfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
I almost never use my 45mm f/1.8 lens. The family hates having their picture taken (they think I'm a photo-terrorist) and I use my PL25 or Minolta 50/1.4 for low light. I told myself I'd keep it forever, along with my 100-300, but my 45 is almost never used.

I'd like to get my hands one some old super-tele lenses for wildlife, and it wouldn't hurt to raise some cash. Should I sell my 45?

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
I was in your situation some months ago, and i did, sold it. now my kit looks like this

O9-18
P25
P12-35
P100-300

And i havent missed it. Im just not a portrait photographer. and I find it too long for a "general use".

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I don't blame you. I love all the great old 50mm/1.4 lenses as well. :) They're also cheap enough for me to have one in every bag, with each body.

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
I am facing the same decision with regard to my 45/1.8. It's a fine lens, but mine just doesn't get used at all these days. I am seriously considering selling it to clear some space in my dry cabinet, and will probably pull the trigger when I identified my next lens purchase. Luckily for me, I don't have any lens I want to get at this moment...

I don't think this lens is hard to buy in the market, so if I were you, I'd sell it to help fund the super-tele lens purchase...

mrjr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The 45 is useful for more than family portraits. It's great for landscapes and street portraiture, among other things.

That said, if you aren't using it, there's no sense keeping it if there's something more useful you could fund by selling it. And if you ever need one again in the future, it'll probably cost you the same 300 bucks and change you'll get from selling it. If the honeymoon is over, you may as well move to something you'll enjoy using.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Sold mine too... Canon fd 50 is good enough for me. For the very few "head and shoulder portraits moments". And i think it gives a little more retro look to the pics. I dont miss the o45 today...

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
Although the Olympus 45mm is a GREAT lens, my personal take is that there's no point in holding onto gear if you're not going to use it.

Now, I can be liberal with how I define "use" ... if I only use a lens a few times a year that might be enough for me to keep it.

However, I feel like it's a waste of money, space, and a perfectly good piece of photographic equipment if I'm never (or very rarely) going to use it and it's just collecting dust.

The point of life is not to die with the most toys collecting dust on your shelves ... it's to play with as many toys as you can and then move on to other toys before you die. ;)

If you're not having fun with a camera, lens, flash or whatever anymore then you might as well get rid of it and make room for something else that you can enjoy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom