Would I be giving up anything using an Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on a GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by EricRose, Jun 8, 2015.

1. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    The Panasonic equivalent looks nice too but I can get an Olympus for a lot less. Just wondering if I will be shooting myself in the foot going with the Oly lens? Want to use it for both still and movie applications.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For movies you'll be a lot happier with the Panasonic since it will stabilize it, unless you are planning to use it exclusively on a tripod.

For stills they are very comparable optically, and the lack of OIS isn't nealry as big a disadvantage since the GX7 has IBIS.

The snap-ring MF feature is the main thing that I covet from the Olympus 12-40, to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    The 12-35 is a bit smaller and may be a better fit on a GX7 than the 12-40.

4. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I haven't used the 12-35, but I own the 12-40 and have used it on both my gx7 and em5ii. It's beautiful on both bodies.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

As was said, the 12-35 has stablization for both movies and stills. The 12-40 would only have IBIS for stills. Depending on how you shoot, it may be a big factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.