1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Truebeam, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi I'm new to photography. Picked up my first camera (Olympus EM5) in Feb of this year. Have been teaching myself shooting and photo editing. I would greatly appreciate if you can give me some feedback about this photo and help me to tone down my son's shirt and the white pole pole--I found them too bright and weaken my subject. Thanks in advance!

Lily

[​IMG]

Would also greatly appreciate your feedback on the following two photos:

Central_Park1.jpg

Observation1.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All three are excellent photos. The first one is priceless. For taming highlights, it's best to shoot raw. Lightroom has an excellent highlight slider for globally taming highlights in an image. For selective edits, I strongly recommend the Lightroom plugin Viveza (Nik), which makes something like dimming or changing color within one part of an image very easy,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The first is fantastic, a real gem...with the other 2 I'd just add that you should perhaps go a little easier on the intensity of the warmth gradient effect, in particular with the second image...it looks a little overdone to me....either bring down the intensity/opacity of the effect or bring up the warmth in the rest of the image to balance the scene out somewhat. Also, I think in both images 2 and 3 the foreground could do with a touch more brightening/exposure to really make the subject 'pop' that little bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Amin Sabet: Thank you so much for your feedback. The first one was taken under bright sunshine at noon in a shade. I feel it's a little bit flat.
    BTW I only shoot raw and manual :) Here is the raw:

Attached Files:

5. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Joe: Great point. Thank you. I do see the little out of balance in terms of intensity in the second image. Will try to bring up the brightness of the foregrounds of the last two and see what happens.

Another quick question, is photoshop a must for photo editing? I only bought lightroom and Nik so far.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I do 99% of my image editing in LR and NIK and only use PS for very specific tasks....on the VERY RARE occasion that I need layers or to clone out a distracting object. Others who have an excellent grasp of PS swear by it.....I just happened to have become very familiar with LR and NIK so use them almost exclusively. I think it would be fair to say that LR is perhaps the 'go to' tool for a majority of photographers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Joe: What are some of your fav tools in Lightroom and Nik? I have been using both 100% since I don't have PS. I really like to play with Nik to get different effects. Often amazed by what Nik is capable of doing!

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm the same as Joe - mostly LR, a little PS. In Lightroom, I love the Nik plugins and also Alien Skin Exposure. The Portra 160 NC simulation in Exposure is one I go to very often for my color photos. The one thing I use PS for somewhat often is layer masks. I might do two versions in Silver Efex or Exposure and then selectively combine them in PS using layer masks.

The Nik stuff is built from the ground up to allow selective edits without resorting to layers, but I'm just used to doing layers. For example, I'll sharpen a whole photo using Nik Sharpener and then selectively hide/show that layer to apply sharpening where I want it. Could do the same thing just using the area selecting tools built into Nik Sharpener. I probably only use 1% of PS capabilities, but I wouldn't want to go completely without it.

9. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I like all 3 very much. Composition is excellent in every one.