Would going from Panasonic GX8 to Olympus E-M5 Mark III be an upgrade?

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
I have a Panasonic G9 and GX8. I see the E-M5.3 as being smaller with better IBIS, no AA filter, and with better JPG. The GX8 is a great camera, but could have used more firmware updates. Being older, I can see that the better IBIS is helpful. My lenses are mostly Panasonic, so they are helped somewhat by the dual system for Panasonic.

I was thinking of trying a Fuji X-S10 -- similar size and cost -- but the lenses that I have in MFT make the difference, as I would be starting anew with Fuji.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The E-M5.3 has hi-res mode, so for some (me) that's a big upgrade. It also has USB charging in-camera (the GX8 may not). As far as Pany lenses on the Oly body, my most-used lens is the PL12-60 2.8-4, and I also use the PL 8-18 a lot, so I don't think it is a problem. I always use IBIS (and turn the lens IS off) since it is just easier to leave that "on" on the camera regardless of lens.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd say go for it. Oly gives you some options that Pany doesn't and should complement each other nicely. My GX8 shot the bed outside of warranty and I'll likely pick up an Oly body as a 2nd to my G9 once OMDS shows what they are planning for the future. I'd really like for them to make the Pen-F mk2 the powerhouse that the EM5 line use to be. I don't think Pany will ever release an true upgrade to the GX8 (no the GX7mk3, aka GX9, is not a GX8 upgrade!), so my hopes now rest on OMDS for a good midsize body.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For IS, you can configure the EM1 to also give priority to lens IS, so if the lens has IS it will use that, if not then it will use IBIS.
As with Rich, I just use IBIS with my P-Lumix 12-60.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The main lens on the E-M5.3 would be the same lens, the PL 12-60.

How is the EVF on the E-M5.3?
A lot of reviews complain that Oly has not upgraded their EVF enough, but I find it OK. However, I am coming from an E-M10.2, so it is hard for me to say what a really good EVF looks like. Considering the age of the GX8, I would guess that the E-M5.3 is at least as good.

Edit: from the DPR review: "Olympus has ditched the LCD viewfinder panel in the EVF in favor of an OLED one and increased the eye point, which should make the EVF easier to see if you wear glasses. However the magnification has dropped from 0.74x on the E-M5 II to 0.68x." As I said, it seems OK to me but nothing special.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I have all three of the cameras mentioned by the OP. I'll never sell my GX8 , I just love it's handling and layout. EVF aside, the 5iii is a better all-round camera. But not hugely in raw image quality.

I bought the 5iii for a specific niche - I needed the smallest, lightest weather sealed body with usb charging. It has since become a very adept all-round camera in use.

My early thoughts are here:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mkiii-a-rolling-review.107219/

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
The linked thread was amazingly comprehensive, understandable, and photography-centric. Had I not already ordered the E-M5iii yesterday, I would have done so today!

I just am amazed at the quality of your photographs -- camera aside -- with just JPGs and Snapseed. Although I am willing to post-process in DxO for some items, I really enjoy the photography much more, with few tweaks to a photograph. I look forward to exploring the JPG qualities of the E-M5iii.

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The EM5 gains better IBIS, Hi-Rez, Phase Detect AF and some minor features like in camera charging. You lose the fabulous EVF of the GX8 and 1/320s flash sync. I've been toying with the same idea, but I'd just prefer a Panasonic camera to go with my Panasonic lenses. In the end I rarely miss focus even on the CDAF system of the GX8, so I've decided to just hold out. Maybe Panasonic sees the light and releases a proper GX8mkII one day...

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
I have a Panasonic G9 and GX8. I see the E-M5.3 as being smaller with better IBIS, no AA filter, and with better JPG. The GX8 is a great camera, but could have used more firmware updates. Being older, I can see that the better IBIS is helpful. My lenses are mostly Panasonic, so they are helped somewhat by the dual system for Panasonic.

I was thinking of trying a Fuji X-S10 -- similar size and cost -- but the lenses that I have in MFT make the difference, as I would be starting anew with Fuji.
if i were you, i will not change my gx8 to em5mk3. because i already have better ibis, no aa filter, better jpg, hi-res, better video, wr, better tripod mount and better ergonomic with the g9... i will utilised g9 as my main camera and gx8 as my secondary or daily aka bring it everywhere... and both of gx8 and g9 are a few of m43 camera that have good evf, but that doesn't really matter to me, the body ergonomic is my number one priority besides familiarity of buttons and ui ux menu

ps: because of the body ergonomic, familiarity of buttons and ui ux menu, i have to take a great time to adjusting my habits to use my digital pen f... how many times i forgot to turn the digital pen f off or forgetting the place of some functions inside the a, b, c, d, ect menu, up until this very second...

Last edited:

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
I got the E-M5 Mark III back in early May and have found it an enjoyable camera. I still have the GX8, but haven't used it since.

The switching between the G9 and E-M5 is easier than I thought, and I find the E-M5 controls and menus easier to navigate. All three are good cameras, though I probably will sell the GX8.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom