Would anyone want a digital Olympus fixed lens body like the Olympus RC?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, May 5, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lately I've been looking for film cameras and came across the Olympus RC with a fixed lens 42mm. I was thinking this would make a real cool digital remake if Olympus wants to make a tiny fixed lens camera with a 4/3 sensor! Call it the RC-D, throw in a 17 to 20mm 1.8, 5-axis IBIS, hybrid VF like the X100S and I think this camera would sell like hotcakes! As a stand alone camera this would be a good companion camera for both m43 and other system shooters! What do you guys think?

2. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    I vote yes for fix m43 camera a la X100
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I would like a fixed M43 as well, fast 35mm, built in EVF or rangefinder, small but not tiny, and less than $500
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Johnathan!

Found this: http://kenrockwell.com/olympus/35rc.htm

(Ken's always entertaining. Not always in a good way, but always entertaining :biggrin:).

I'd be interested in a fixed lens digital camera with an integrated viewfinder and the aperture controls on the lens with a minimal number of controls (aperture, shutter speed, ISO). You can forgo the view screen on the back of the camera. The performance would have to be up-to-date - no shutter lag, no viewfinder lag, a 100% viewfinder view, and enough dynamic range to compete in the market place. It wouldn't have to be a really fast lens - but a hot shoe and p.c. connection would be nice.

The only thing that has kept me away from the Fuji X100 is the price; it's not unreasonable but there's not enough difference between the X100 and my E-M5 with a Panasonic 20mm mounted to justify spending a thousand bucks. (That's just my tight-fisted opinon, YMMV). If I could get by with only the 35mm focal length I'd have the X100 and not the Olympus :eek:.

A low priced, reasonably performing, fixed lens, digital camera with a viewfinder would get more than a glance from me. I could get by without IBIS in order to keep the cost down. I don't need "modes"; an aperture priority setting would be O.K. but really all I need is full manual if the light meter is visible in the viewfinder.

I don't see this as a 'primary' camera for me so I'd not be willing to shell out major dollars.

Somehow, though, I don't think there's much of a market for such a critter. Most folks prefer having a view screen on the back and love the 'zoom' lens even in a non-interchangeable camera.

Every once 'n awhile I think about getting a 35mm film rangefinder...then I go lay down until the feeling passes :biggrin:.

The Olympus 35 would make a nice walk-about, but the hassles and cost of film processing make it a 'no go' for me these days.

Still, nice to take a brief walk into the past.

Thanks for posting!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I had an X100s for a while, which I think is conceptually pretty similar. I was in love with it at first, but it didn't last. It was an idea better in the contemplation than in the practical application. YMMV, of course, since Fuji has sold quite a few of those. :smile:
  6. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
  7. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    I would be interested in a camera optimized for the 12-40 lens with a four thirds sized sensor + stabilization.

PS The re-d would be a very interesting camera.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd rather they integrate a VF in the corner of the E-P5's successor and kept the size down. Then you can put a 20/1.7 or a 17/1.8 or whatever you like on it. The only potential advantages of having an integrated design as you describe it are size and the hybrid VF. But I don't think a camera much smaller than the E-P5 makes sense - you'd either have to sacrifice the VF or the controls or the LCD - so it really comes down to whether a hybrid VF is more valuable than the ability to change lenses. To me, the answer is clearly no. Compare the X100s and the X-E2. One is clearly a much smaller niche than the other, and if Fuji had made the 27/2.8 a collapsing 24/2, you can bet the X100s niche would be even smaller.