Would anyone still keep GH-1 after getting OM-D?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm about to put in an order for OM-D.
    I also have a GF-1 and a GH-1.
    Would anyone still choose to keep a GH-1 after getting an OM-D?
    I feel like GF-1 has become a classic and worth hanging on to, but somehow I don't feel the same about the GH-1. I never packed my GH-1 unless I knew I was going to shoot under the sun and its EVF would come in handy. Now that that role will be completely replaced by OM-D, maybe it's better to sell GH-1 and recoup some of the OM-D purchasing cost.

Any thoughts?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm not particularly sentimental so I'd sell it.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only obvious place where the GH1 would be a step up is video. If you don't do a lot of that, by all means sell. $300 or so seems to be the going rate these days.

DH

4. Yep. I plan to keep mine when I get an E-M5, but you have to go with what you like. My time with the GF1 was quite brief and I didn't find the IQ to my liking, whereas the GH1 with it's multi-aspect sensor, articulated screen, and superior (for me) handling is the best Micro 4/3 body I have used so far. On paper the features of either camera seem to complement each other quite nicely, but I won't know for sure until I've used them back-to-back.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Sometimes it's nice to carry two bodies to save changing lenses.

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Fully articulating screen for low-angle portrait ultrawides. Don't do those? then sell it.

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't know about that, the EM-5 has full manual control over video, and offers a bitrate that is better than an unhacked GH1. It also serves up the resulting files in a less convoluted way.

I don't see why you'd keep a GH1 after buying it personally.

8. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    I would keep the GH1 over the GF1, but that's because I never thought the GF was all that. I'm thinking about keeping my GH2, but that's because nobody wants it! Honestly the only reason I would keep it is because of the multi aspect sensor, which I find to be the best thing about the GH series.

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well you said it yourself the E-M5 only has better video than an un-hacked GH1. So since it is so easy to Hack a GH1, it will be a better video camera then the E-M5 (until a hack for it comes out for the E-M5). Plus you do not have to buy a special accessory to be able to plug in an external mic. Also you can use OIS when shooting video with OIS capable lenses. It may be a small pluses but it all depends on the needs of the person weighing them

And now my answer to dhazeghi's post :
    Well I personally feel that the Multi-Aspect sensor is a Plus. I know for something like landscapes, if shot in 16:9 it would be giving the lens used a slightly wider horizontal field of view but I like that. Again , maybe a small plus but that depends on who you talk to.

And on a separate note, I feel that Olympus missed the mark by not going with the multi-aspect sensor of the GH-2 in there new OM-D. I also feel that the Multi-aspect sensor should be taller for better use of the 1:1 ratio.

P.S. I'd Buy myself a GH1 if I could find one for 300 USD. Let me know when you see one. :D 

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Keyword here is "unhacked". But you can hack a GH1. Hacked, it's still a video god. So why keep a GH1 after getting a E-M5? If you shoot video, it's still worthy.

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Ah yeah, I forgot about that, 'tis a biggie. Would love that function- get a little bit extra out of your lenses wouldn't you. Thought part of me thinks that for the GH3, they should just go the whole way and make a dedicated 16:9 sensor for it.

12. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    Why? As it is you get to chose the aspect ratio and if they made it fixed 16:9 I'm sure there would be some upset.

13. The GH1 and GH2 already have a dedicated 16:9 sensor. It's as big it can be given the image circle of the m4/3 lenses. The cool thing is that they also have a dedicated 3:2 and 4:3 sensor as well; just one reason amongst many that makes either camera worth keeping.

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I kept my GH1 even after I got my GH2, mostly for video since there's no time restriction. The E-M5 still has a 29min limit. The GH1 also comes with a AC adapter, good again for longer video events and time lapses.

The E-M5 also does not have 24p or 720/60p.

If none of those thing are important, then by all means sell it with it still has some value. GH1's are still in demand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

If it would have a dedicated 1:1 (meaning that it has a sensor big enough to use the whole image circle for shooting 1:1 aspect photos) then it would be awesome and i would love it. If they ever DID make a sensor that big, to use the whole image circle in 1:1 format, plus the engineers somehow allowed a, sorta, full sensor mode when shooting without lens, for using the whole sensor with adapted legacy glass, I would be in love. And if Olympus put a sensor like that in a camera like the E-M5 then i would have my dream camera.. but still would not be able to afford it for a few years. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.