1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Would anyone still keep GH-1 after getting OM-D?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm about to put in an order for OM-D.
    I also have a GF-1 and a GH-1.
    Would anyone still choose to keep a GH-1 after getting an OM-D?
    I feel like GF-1 has become a classic and worth hanging on to, but somehow I don't feel the same about the GH-1. I never packed my GH-1 unless I knew I was going to shoot under the sun and its EVF would come in handy. Now that that role will be completely replaced by OM-D, maybe it's better to sell GH-1 and recoup some of the OM-D purchasing cost.

Any thoughts?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm not particularly sentimental so I'd sell it.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The only obvious place where the GH1 would be a step up is video. If you don't do a lot of that, by all means sell. $300 or so seems to be the going rate these days.

DH

4. Yep. I plan to keep mine when I get an E-M5, but you have to go with what you like. My time with the GF1 was quite brief and I didn't find the IQ to my liking, whereas the GH1 with it's multi-aspect sensor, articulated screen, and superior (for me) handling is the best Micro 4/3 body I have used so far. On paper the features of either camera seem to complement each other quite nicely, but I won't know for sure until I've used them back-to-back.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Sometimes it's nice to carry two bodies to save changing lenses.

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Fully articulating screen for low-angle portrait ultrawides. Don't do those? then sell it.

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't know about that, the EM-5 has full manual control over video, and offers a bitrate that is better than an unhacked GH1. It also serves up the resulting files in a less convoluted way.

I don't see why you'd keep a GH1 after buying it personally.

8. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I would keep the GH1 over the GF1, but that's because I never thought the GF was all that. I'm thinking about keeping my GH2, but that's because nobody wants it! Honestly the only reason I would keep it is because of the multi aspect sensor, which I find to be the best thing about the GH series.

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well you said it yourself the E-M5 only has better video than an un-hacked GH1. So since it is so easy to Hack a GH1, it will be a better video camera then the E-M5 (until a hack for it comes out for the E-M5). Plus you do not have to buy a special accessory to be able to plug in an external mic. Also you can use OIS when shooting video with OIS capable lenses. It may be a small pluses but it all depends on the needs of the person weighing them

And now my answer to dhazeghi's post :
    Well I personally feel that the Multi-Aspect sensor is a Plus. I know for something like landscapes, if shot in 16:9 it would be giving the lens used a slightly wider horizontal field of view but I like that. Again , maybe a small plus but that depends on who you talk to.

And on a separate note, I feel that Olympus missed the mark by not going with the multi-aspect sensor of the GH-2 in there new OM-D. I also feel that the Multi-aspect sensor should be taller for better use of the 1:1 ratio.

P.S. I'd Buy myself a GH1 if I could find one for 300 USD. Let me know when you see one. :D

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Keyword here is "unhacked". But you can hack a GH1. Hacked, it's still a video god. So why keep a GH1 after getting a E-M5? If you shoot video, it's still worthy.

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Ah yeah, I forgot about that, 'tis a biggie. Would love that function- get a little bit extra out of your lenses wouldn't you. Thought part of me thinks that for the GH3, they should just go the whole way and make a dedicated 16:9 sensor for it.

12. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Why? As it is you get to chose the aspect ratio and if they made it fixed 16:9 I'm sure there would be some upset.

13. The GH1 and GH2 already have a dedicated 16:9 sensor. It's as big it can be given the image circle of the m4/3 lenses. The cool thing is that they also have a dedicated 3:2 and 4:3 sensor as well; just one reason amongst many that makes either camera worth keeping.

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I kept my GH1 even after I got my GH2, mostly for video since there's no time restriction. The E-M5 still has a 29min limit. The GH1 also comes with a AC adapter, good again for longer video events and time lapses.

The E-M5 also does not have 24p or 720/60p.

If none of those thing are important, then by all means sell it with it still has some value. GH1's are still in demand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

If it would have a dedicated 1:1 (meaning that it has a sensor big enough to use the whole image circle for shooting 1:1 aspect photos) then it would be awesome and i would love it. If they ever DID make a sensor that big, to use the whole image circle in 1:1 format, plus the engineers somehow allowed a, sorta, full sensor mode when shooting without lens, for using the whole sensor with adapted legacy glass, I would be in love. And if Olympus put a sensor like that in a camera like the E-M5 then i would have my dream camera.. but still would not be able to afford it for a few years. lol