Would a Pop-up Flash like the RX100 v3 be a good solution for next gen PENs?

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just saw the RX100 v3 leak and the cool pop-up viewfinder.

Got me thinking if that would satisfy people who keep saying the Olympus PENs lack of VF is a reason they stay away from a PEN. Would a decent quality pop-up (have to accept lesser quality then the VF clip ons) be a good compromise???

I for one wouldn't mind the novelty of it. Especially if they found a way to have it mounted centrally vs. on the left hand corner.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

Got me thinking if that would satisfy people who keep saying the Olympus PENs lack of VF is a reason they stay away from a PEN. Would a decent quality pop-up (have to accept lesser quality then the VF clip ons) be a good compromise???

Don't see why the quality should be lesser. The Sony one is about the same size and pixel count as the VF-2, according to the specs.

I for one wouldn't mind the novelty of it. Especially if they found a way to have it mounted centrally vs. on the left hand corner.

It'd be an improvement over the accessory VF design, but I'd still prefer something built-in to the corner that was always there and available, as opposed to something that has to slide out, both for reasons of convenience and aesthetics. Really, I don't understand what's so hard. Fuji, Panasonic and Sony have all managed to integrated a corner EVF into their designs while still keeping the cameras relatively small.

SS76

Mu-43 Regular
Wow, that looks like a great camera on paper, and no doubt will perform as its predecessors did. The great thing about this is the brighter lens which makes this very attractive. Smaller sensor compared to m43 is not a concern as the 1inch sensor from Sony has proven iteself, but adding the viewfinder (high quality) while keeping the flash makes this a verstaile pocket camera.

My first inkling was "I gotta get this thing and replace my M43 system", but then I realized I liked the versatility of the EP5 and primes/zooms, the physical buttons combined with touchscreen functionality, and all that with a bigger sensor. I just am no longer bothered by carrying a camera bag knowing the capabilities it holds!

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
I would prefer a rear EVF like the GX7 or NEX-6/7/A6000. Not sure why Olympus can't fit one on there.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I would prefer a rear EVF like the GX7 or NEX-6/7/A6000. Not sure why Olympus can't fit one on there.

Here's the short answer: There is no reason why Oly can't fit one on there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up before long. I've been saying this for years: The Asian cameramakers are extremely cautious and extremely conservative. They have always had a lot of technology and features have been 80-90% market ready. But they won't introduce a single one until they have to.... i.e. a competitor finally decides it needs to break out and has some success with something new. Then, they all follow quickly because they more-or-less had it on the shelf for a while.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Here's the short answer: There is no reason why Oly can't fit one on there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up before long. I've been saying this for years: The Asian cameramakers are extremely cautious and extremely conservative. They have always had a lot of technology and features have been 80-90% market ready. But they won't introduce a single one until they have to.... i.e. a competitor finally decides it needs to break out and has some success with something new. Then, they all follow quickly because they more-or-less had it on the shelf for a while.

That may be true in general, but Sony's NEX-7 has had this feature since late 2011, and Fuji's X-E1 since late 2012. Both have been reasonably successful (as have subsequent models with that feature). If it were a simple matter of jumping on the bandwagon, Olympus would have been there at least a year ago.

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's not if they can but a steadfast not to as not to compete with om-d's. So a hidden one, could just be the ticket. One thing olympus hs said is they don't feel a corner one is ideal and a vf should on the central axis of the lens like what is sense on the om-d's.

I for one, don't want a corner one that's fixed, the eye cup would bug me. I like the concept of a popup evf - especially if centered concealed.

Appears as though people are receptive. Hopefully, olympus are on board.

hookgrip

Mu-43 Regular
Pic of the sony pop-up EVF. Quite clever, and I don't know why Olympus/Panasonic have not thought of this yet. I like having the EVF on my PM2, but it just makes the camera so much more bulky.

sony-rx100m3-leak-3-576x480.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was about to jump on a panasonic GM1 when they reduced in price. The rx100 mk3, has got me reconsidering...

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was about to jump on a panasonic GM1 when they reduced in price. The rx100 mk3, has got me reconsidering...

I'd get the RX100 iii over the GM1 if it were me. The GM1 is too small for long glass so.. the RX100 70mm equivalence at 2.8 seems a very good solution for a pocketable camera. Be interesting to see how the IQ holds up.. probably very good.

Outside of 3 and 5-axis IBIS from Olympus and Panasonic with GH4 and video codecs, there has been zero intersting developments of interest in m43 for years. The EM-1 is interesting in only that it can use 43s glass effectively. The sensor itself has a backstep IQ wise.

Meanwhilte, Fuji and Sony continue to make strides and interesting options in the APS and FF offerings. Even Leica jumped in and produced a different and cool camera but with tooooo many draw backs IMO.

I expected more from Panasonic and Olympus on the miniaturization front with lens to make the GM1 and EPM2 more. Few options to take advantage of the m43 sensor size advantage as far as pocketability.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
It's not if they can but a steadfast not to as not to compete with om-d's. So a hidden one, could just be the ticket. One thing olympus hs said is they don't feel a corner one is ideal and a vf should on the central axis of the lens like what is sense on the om-d's.

I for one, don't want a corner one that's fixed, the eye cup would bug me. I like the concept of a popup evf - especially if centered concealed.

A good point. On the other hand, the flip up design, at least as Sony did it, has no eye-cup. Which I expect will be awkward for those of us who wear glasses.

Appears as though people are receptive. Hopefully, olympus are on board.

Well, I'd say any EVF is an improvement over none. Olympus's position is especially ironic in light of the fact that the Pen F, the camera the E-P5 appears to be modeled after (and occasionally advertised alongside) did have a built-in, non-protruding EVF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom