Worth upgrading from the EM5 to the GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hazwing, Apr 23, 2014.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm thinking about switching from the em5 to the gx7... is it worth making to switch?

Current things that annoy me about the em5
    -poor access to mysets
    -poor access to auto exposure bracketing
    -overly sensitive eye sensor - makes it annoying using the fold out screen for taking photos
    -the recent firmware upgrade with the small focus box is a good improvement, allowing you to use a small box and highlight/shadow alerts at the same time. However the small boxes do not cover every area, and sometimes I would need to focus and recompose.

I haven't done that much research on the GX7, but from what I gather

Upsides of the GX7
    -1/8000 shutter
    -grip looks comfortable
    -optional electronic shutter
    -in built flash
    -better low light focusing??
    -better access to mysets/preconfigured modes??

Downsides of the GX7
    -worse IBIS???
    -no auto iso in Manual mode?
    -not weather sealed

Anything else I am missing? Anyone else make the switch and can provide some insight?

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    EVF is smaller

it's more of a preference than upgrade. I prefer the GX7 but I'd rather get the GH4 if I was coming from a E-M5 since to me that's more of an upgrade atleast in features while retaining weather sealing.

I definitely find the grip to be nicer on the GX7 compared to the E-M5 and the 5 point AF is a favourite of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    GX7 has wifi and better video quality. I feel GX7 eye sensor is just as sensitive, and it's positioned at the edge of the camera, so it's actually easier to set it off vs em5, just put your left palm up on the left side of the GX7 can trigger it, I am mildly annoyed by that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Turn off the Auto sensor.
    Use auto focus assist lamp in low light
    I don't think Mysets are that difficult to get to. How often do you need to go there?

• Like Like x 2
  5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    There's no LiveTime facility on the GX7.
    GX7 EVF is tiltable.
    GX7's electronic shutter is part of a "silent" mode feature, good for street photog.

I personally went with the GX7 over the EM5 because of both the wifi remote control and ergonomics (the tap to set focus/exposure was a real draw but I find I don't use it at all). I find the EM10 fixed the ergonomic complaints I had. All of these will take really amazing photos. Good luck with your decision!

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sounds like a reasonable switch. Just keep in mind that you're not going to be able to rely on IBIS as much in lower light (though the AF, at least with slower lenses, is better), and of course there's no weather-sealing to speak of on the GX-7.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Val and Dara are right - it would really be a case of what you prefer as opposed to a bona fide upgrade. But it does sound like a reasonable switch given your stated priorities. I have both cameras and enjoy both. Image quality is just about the same. The differences have more to do with ergonomics and handling than anything else. Except the GX7 offers a faster maximum shutter speed and the IBIS is better on the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Will the GX7 and EM5 compliment each other? Im thinking of getting one in the future but keep the EM5. Right now I have the EP3 to back up my EM5.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 2

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I like having both cameras. Two different form factors, each with its own strengths and both that can use all of my micro four-thirds lenses. One can do worse.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Flip up EVF solves blank out of touch screen. My biggest beef about the GX-7 -is the eye piece. If you wear glasses it is hard to use in bright light. I am left handed and had hard time with keeping center focus in place. Solved problem by turning off touch screen. You don't need myset because you can do everything with custom sets. The G-7 is pretty big compared to ep-l 3 or 5. Grip is good and it is about the prettiest camera in the world. To me the GH-7 is the gentleman's camera but for gut performance in hard conditions the EM-5 or EM 1 are superior

• Like Like x 1
  11. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    You would lose the Olympus colours if you're a JPG shooter, JPGs aren't as pretty from the GX7. I don't think it's an upgrade, they're both really good top end m43 cameras

• Like Like x 1
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It seems more of a side grade from the perspective of image quality (lose IBIS, gain better shutter speed), but the GX7 has included a number of usability perks the EM5 didn't have. Your list at the top missed a few on the GX7 list: focus peaking, silent mode (many don't realize how great this is until they have it), and decent (not great) wifi implementation (good for sending JPEGs on the fly). Of course the GX7 has much better video, but you are on these forums often, so I'm sure you know that. I haven't used the EM5 with a grip, but for me, the GX7 has much better ergonomics than an ungripped EM5. As far as menus go, I find the Panasonic quick menu is easy to access, and can have quite a few options. The menus on the GX7 much easier for me, but if you are used to Olympus, you might have the exact opposite experience. And JPEGs are about the same these days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    thanks for the feedback... I think I was having a moment of weakness seeing that the second hand price of the gx7 has dropped a little. It would have only meant about $150-200 extra to switch to the GX7. I think I'll stick with the em5 for now

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Its the lack of old manual focus lenses thats causing you grief mate! :biggrin:

*runs and hides*

• Like Like x 1
  15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I guess that means I'll have to get the gx7 with focus peaking :)