Worth upgrading e-p1 to e-p3 or just buy new lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jacster99, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Jacster99

Jacster99 New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    Hi, I have a e-p1 and love everything about it and has done justice in a lot of pictures. One thing I would prefer is slight faster focus. I know the e-p3 is supposed to have the fastest auto focus and the touch to focus/shoot function would be cool to have. For the expensive price is it worth upgrading to ep3?

I'll mostly be taking street photos, holiday traveling so would it be better to just buy a lens instead like the Panasonic 20mm?

Not sure if it's worth that much extra money to upgrade unless ep3 is a must have.

Thanks

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I have both the E-P1 and E-P3. In my opinion there is no "practical" difference in the image quality between these cameras. The two biggest differences for me are the E-P3 focuses faster and doesn't have as much horrible lag when using art filters. Of course, the E-P3 also has the accessory port and built-in flash but those might not be a big deal for some people.

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have an EP3 and tried an EP1 recently
    I have to say that the EP3 is much faster focussing and has much less lag to the extent that I found the EP1 very frustrating to use in comparison
    If you have not used a VF2 / VF3 viewfinder before and are inclined to do so then I would urge you to go to the EP3 and try one
    Taking pictures in bright sunlight is no longer an issue and framing is much more accurate etc etc
    The EP3 has better white balance and metering I believe ??
    There is also an extra large more rubberised grip available for the EP3 which makes for better handling
    The built in flash is also very handy on the EP3
    I personally prefer the shape and handling of the EP3 which also has better video capabilities if that's of interest
    I also have an EPL2 which I still enjoy using - perhaps that might be another (cheaper ) option for you - image quality is very close to that of EP3 and focussing speed will be much better than the EP1 albeit a little slower than the AeP3
    Rob

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Look into refurbished kits. They're not nearly as expensive. At $900, the E-P3 is definitely not worth it. At $580, it could be, depending upon how much fast AF and touch focus mean to you.

DH

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    they both take great photos. Are you missing shots because of slow focus? If not, put the money toward new glass.

6. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I personally would (and did) purchase the E-PL3 instead of the E-P3. It is equally as fast at AF - same sensor and image quality. Doesn't have the touch screen, but has a very good screen that flips up and down (which I value much more). Currently the Online Henrys strore (Canada) has an excellent price on it at $429.99 with kit lens.

I live in Canada and purchased last week at that price along with their very good deal on the 40-150R lens at $199.99. They sell around the world and I know that one photographer on another forum who lives in Florida ordered one from Henrys the other day and found them very helpful. They ship by Parcel Post so that there is no Duty or other fees as far as I am aware. They are an old and very reputable company.

Here is the deal on E-PL3 - OLYMPUS PEN E-PL3 W/14-42 II R(BLACK) V205031BU000
    Here is the deal on 40-150 lens -OLYMPUS MSC 40-150MM R BLACK
    ------

If you are just wanting to make an upgrade already having a camera that provides the same image quality in the E-PL1 - and if you have no interest in shooting video - then probably investing in a micro four thirds lens or two may be a better investment. Just depends on your needs at this time.

7. Jacster99

Jacster99 New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    Thanks very much for your advice. I am basically looking for faster auto focus but not sure if it warrants that much money for the upgrade.

I hardly ever use the video function so that's not an issue

8. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I still have my E-P1 and have upgraded the glass.
    The 12mm is very fast with the e-p1 and you can always hyper focus with it so auto focus speed is not a problem.
    The 45mm is ok fast in good light conditions and the 20mm is the slower.
    If you use the kit lens, going to the 20mm will definitely improve your photos in a manner that the E-P3 or even the OM-1 won´t do.
    So definitely upgrade the lens first.
    Good glass will also retain it's value. I bought my 20mm for 295 eur and sold it two years later for 275eur and now I miss it!

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you just want faster AF and can do without the touchscreen, the best bargain would be the E-PM1. Refurbished, they go for ~$300 including lens. Just as fast as the E-P3.

DH

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the new kit lens can be found used for around $100 and focuses dramatically faster on your body.