1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Worth to buy 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter? Or perhaps another adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Phoque, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    EP-3 is my first interchangeable lens digital camera. I have no lens except the one that came with the bundle (14-42).

Would you say it's worth getting the 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter?

My eyes are on the OLYMPUS 14-150MM 4-5.6 MICRO 4/3 LENS and the PANASONIC LUMIXVARIO 14-140MM LENS(M-4/3).

Otherwise, what adapter would you go for, would you recommend, that offers the best selection of lens for the money (and best compatibility, anything outside of 4/3)?

2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Those lens are native to the M4/3 format, why would you need an adapter?

I would stick to m4/3 lens for now until you feel like you need something you cannot get natively.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    You can't put a 4/3 lens on a micro 4/3 body without an adapter.

4. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    From Olympus Website:

MMF-2 (Four Thirds Lens Adapter to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter)
    Item: #260964-410

This lens adapter makes it possible to mount any existing Four Thirds lens on a Micro Four Thirds PEN digital camera. AF shooting using Live View is possible with lenses featuring contrast AF compatibility. When a contrast AF incompatible lens is used, the AF assist function engages. This item replaces the MMF-1.

Item #260964

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    That's true, but the two lenses you mentioned are native m4/3 lenses. There are 4/3 versions of those lenses but it doesn't make any sense to get those, even used, when you add in the cost of the adapter.

6. Both the lenses you mention (M Zuiko 14-150 and Lumix G 14-140) ARE Micro 4/3 lenses: no adapter required. However, if you do want to use 4/3 DSLR lenses then yes, the MMF-2 adapter will allow this.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    As others have said, the Olympus 14-150 and Panasonic 14-140 are micro 4/3 lenses. They do not need an adapter (indeed they cannot be used with that adapter).

The main purpose of an adapter is get lenses that do things that native lenses don't - fast apertures at longer focal lengths for example. But until you've determined what it is you want to do, there's no point in buying. Also, unless you like very slow autofocus, or manual focus, native lenses are generally preferable in use to adapted ones.

DH

8. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I hate to commit such non sense social suicide like this... :horse:

Hey DDBazooka , sorry I didn't get your message. Well, given my post, it shouldn`t come up as a surprise! :rofl:

I think the other half of my question remains: are there other good sets of lens you think justify the acquisition of an adapter (4/3 included)?

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    As dhazeghi mentioned, the reason most people use adapted lenses is to get something that isn't available in a native MFT mount. So fast, manual prime lenses (like the classic 50/f1.4) and fast telephoto primes are very popular.

For this all of the major manufacturers have made terrific lenses. So Olympus OM, Canon, Pentax K, Nikkor, Minolta, Contax, Leica, Carl Zeiss etc etc...

This can be done very cheaply - for instance a standard legacy 50/f1.7 can be had mint for less than $50, or it can become very expensive - a mint 50/f1.2 can cost upwards of $500 and a decent Leica will cost over $1000.

There are probably thousands of lenses that can be adapted, so it's a pretty broad question if we don't really know what you're interested in :wink:

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Micro Four-Thirds is doing well in the wide-to-standard range (from 7mm to 45mm) with prime lenses and ultra-wide zoom. This is their forte, and suits the design. What m4/3 doesn't have are fast zooms, which happens to be the forte of 4/3 (which actually boasts the fastest zoom lenses in the world!) 4/3 lenses are also very sharp and high-resolving - some of the finest glass you'll find. The other thing m4/3 doesn't have are fast lenses of any kind (primes or zoom) in telephoto lengths. This can be answered by either 4/3 or legacy glass.

Personally, I like my 4/3 zooms and my legacy primes. I don't own any m4/3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't worry about it. I came to m4/3 as a photographer with a previous system, so I have lenses that will get good use. If your father or grandfather has an old SLR in the closet with a bunch of decent lenses, then consider getting yourself an adapter. Otherwise, just focus on learning how to use your current setup, and grab yourself one of those m4/3 lenses that you mention. Don't worry about adapted lenses; it's more of a hobby. If you see m4/3 lenses that you like, just stick with those for now.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - reading all the posts on here made me think about it some, and I asked if there were certain lenses to "go after" (since I travel a lot, maybe find a good deal) ... And the answer was pretty much "no" (for me).

I do own a 4/3 Leica D 14-50 f/2.8-3.5, but it will be sold when they come out with native fast zooms.

Note that the Panasonic version of the adapter is exactly the same, but much cheaper

13. There's no doubt that you can get fantastic images by adapting 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies, and there are some truly excellent 4/3 lenses BUT, in most cases they are not fun to use for extended periods. Spend a bit of time shooting with the native m4/3 lenses first, then mount a big, clunky 4/3 lens, wait a second or three for it to autofocus, and you'll see what I mean.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a 4/3 pancake which is both super-compact and fast to focus on m4/3. Too bad it's not as fast (in lens speed) as most native m4/3 primes. ;)
    It all depends on your needs though. For some of the work I do, I could never get away with small apertures in my telephoto lenses. There's simply nowhere else to go but outside of m4/3 lenses fo those needs. Though there's no reason I couldn't replace my entire collection of standard focal length lenses with the great m4/3 primes available.