Worth keeping kit lens at all?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mintchoco, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have the following lenses: 14-150mm, 20mm, 14mm, 9-18mm (plus legacy glass in 50mm, 55mm range)

Would it be worth it to keep the Oly 14-42mm kit lens at all? It's not even the II version, as it is the one that comes with the E-PL1. I'm not even sure how much I can get for it on the market, but it just sits around in the closet.

Do you keep your kit lens? Would it be worth having around when I sell the camera a year or two down the road?
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Well, if you're not using it, I don't see the point of holding onto it. It's a since discontinued kit lens, so it's not like it's going to appreciate or even hold its value over time. With your kit, I wouldn't see myself using it much (if ever) since you have the primes if you want to go small and lightweight and the 14-150 which covers the focal range.

I'm not sure how much it's really worth, but it looks like there's been some sold on eBay recently in the $80-100 range. That seems high to me, but you might be able to find someone who will give you that. As far as keeping it around to sell with a body, my thinking is that you generally get better value by breaking bodies and lenses apart and selling them separately. My guess is that the lens would only add maybe $50 to the value of a body, but that you can probably get more than that for it by itself (if you're patient).
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It can be a pretty useful lens for just walking around. It's not a bad lens at all. I agree with DeeJayK in that I doubt it would fetch much if you sold it as folks seem to want the 14-42 II or the P14-45 instead. Then again I tend to sell off stuff I'm not using. I figure SOME money is better than sitting unused on a shelf.
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    14-4x is a very useful all-around lens to have for such things as walk around, travel, compact yet versatile kit, etc.

What I would do, if I were in your place, given that the 14-42 is the first edition, is sell it for what you can get for it and replace it with a Pany 14-45 or an Oly 14-42-IIR.

I say that because I do find numerous circumstances where my 14-45 is exceptionally useful and handy and creates wonderfully crisp images - in spite of the fact that I've also got a dozen m4/3 primes and zooms to choose from as well.

If you find no utility at all with a 14-4x, and never use it, then just off it for what you can get for it and apply the funds to another lens which you do find utility in.
  5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I'd sell it and hold onto the cash. I wouldn't go for the 14-45 unless you want OIS. It's a nice lens but the 14-150mm that you have is only a little longer and not much heavier (60 grams?) than the Panasonic and you have so much more versatility.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not to mention that you also have the 20mm and 14mm pancakes. I see no reason to hold onto a 14-42mm either. Just sell it and keep the cash or use it towards something other than another slow kit lens.

Of course, I don't tend to sell my cameras after using them either. My cameras get used until they drop. So if you're holding onto it just to include it with the camera when you sell it... sure, why not? The E-PL1 kit lens is the cheapest of the bunch. It has all the faults of the original version (loose barrel, loud focus, etc.) but none of the advantages (metal mount). It has all the faults of the II version (plastic mount) but none of the advantages (fast and quiet MSC internal focus, tight barrel, converter compatibility, etc.). Not saying that it's a bad lens, just that it's the least desirable. Nobody will want it if they have any of the other kit lenses.
  7. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks everyone, putting it up for sale.