Worth getting an adapter for these Nikon lenses? OM-D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Chefbryardee, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Chefbryardee

Chefbryardee New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2013
    I recently purchased an OM-D and I have access to some of my dad's old lenses.

They are:

Nikon AF 30-105mm 1:3.5-4.5

Tokina AT-X SD 80-200mm 1:2.8

Sigma Auto Focus 18-35mm 1:3.5-4.5D Wide Angle Zoom

Would it be worth getting an F-Mount adapter to use these? I'm sure they'll look ridiculous on the camera but how would the image quality be? All I have right now is the kit 14-42mm lens.
  2. mlwebb

mlwebb Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2010
    Monroe, Or
    Go for it - It is fun trying different lenses, and you will probably get some nice images.
    Here is one from a 50 yr old Nikon 135 (...and one feels a certain minor sense of accomplishment when you catch a moving object in focus :)

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 2 shorter zooms won't give anything that the kit zooms won't. The Tokina on the other hand is a fast 200mm! On m4/3 it would be the equivalent of a 400mm! That lens is a bit large and heavy however.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I agree that the Tokina would be worth the modest cost of an adapter on its own. It's long and fast though a bit large and heavy by m43 standards.

The Nikkor 35-105 may be of some use filling the gap between your kit lens and the Tokina though its modest speed will make focusing somewhat tedious. If you get the adapter for the Tokina this lens can share it so giving it a try is a no brainer.

The Sigma would be of too little value to use. It isn't likely to be as sharp as the kit zoom and it doesn't offer any focal length or speed advantage.
  5. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Yep, go for it. You can get an adapter for $15 or so, and you'll get three useable lenses out of the deal.
  6. Chefbryardee

Mar 8, 2013
    Great. I'll definitely pick one up then. Are there certain adapters that are better than others or should I just pick up a relatively cheap one?
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your Dad doesn't have a 50? That would be the lens to use a cheap adapter with.
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have found that some of the cheap ones tend to be a little loose and sometimes a tad too long. When they are too long it makes the lens focus beyond infinity. Still usable but annoying when you try to focus at infinity. Since those lenses all have the aperture ring on them get the "F" adaptor and not the "G". Fotodiox is a good brand of adaptor at a low price.
  9. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Zoom lens adapters

Two things... Yes, it's always fun to play with different lenses, and you'll be surprised at the results you get. I'd pay up to $20 for an adapter.

Second thing, with manual focus zoom lenses, I'd look at turning off the IBIS on your omd, as it will not automatically adjust the focal length as the camera would with a native zoom. I've gotten much better results with my manual zooms when I don't use the stabilization.

(Third thing, sorry I lied when I said two things)' I agree that you want an adapter that is for f mount lenses... Not g. The g mount adapters have a ring that can open and close the aperture, but I always forget which way it needs to turn so that the ring on the lens will work appropriately. I have both and always prefer my f mount adapter (as using the g mount adapter with g lenses is nice, but translates into me setting aperture at "wide open", "full closed", or "somewhere in between").
  10. Chefbryardee

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for all the input. I read some good things about the big_is adapters and for 12 bucks figured they're worth a shot. Now to play the waiting game... can't wait to give these lenses a shot.