1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Worth buying a body with AF problem as body for manual lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by melanieylang, Oct 24, 2018.

1. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2017
    Hello all,

I noticed a used EM10ii body for sale cheap due to AF not working, and am thinking about buying it as a second body to use solely with adapted/MF lenses. Can anyone think of a reason why this might be more trouble than it's worth?

Many thanks,
    Melanie

2. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    can't think of a reason that should not work OK with manual focus lenses, however the camera must be cheap since most people will want AF. You are probably one of the few that would have interest in such a camera

3. Armand Di Meo

Armand Di Meo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2018
    It might make a difference what the actual asking price is. I probably would not pay more than $50 or at the most $75 for it. The camera may have had a lot of use and it may just be a matter of time before others things start to go and it becomes basically worthless. I recently bought a brand new EM10iii body for $550 and you can probably find used mark ii bodies that are in excellent condition with a lot of life left in them for $400 or maybe less. If something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    No, because invariably I will want to put an AF lens on it. I would not want to be that restricted.
    If the AF does not work, what else does not work?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    As soon as something important like autofocus goes, camera is basically worth nothing.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. melanieylang

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's priced at AUD$150, and is a limited edition model so I'm more interested that I would otherwise be. The cheapest good body I've seen advertised was AUD$350, which sold almost instantly. If I hear back from the seller I will quiz them further.

7. Keep your eye on Gumtree as when I first got into m43 6 months ago I bought my E-m10 from there for $220 with only 4000 shutter count and there were others sold cheaper who's owners didn't know how to check the count and weren't interested in doing so. Facebook marketplace also had hundreds last time I looked. The majority of sellers on these two sites are folk who were talked into the camera for a holiday trip as the kit package was sold cheaply in Oz when the mkll was coming out. They later find the camera doesn't get used and try to sell them off. Try making an offer by telling the seller that technology has moved on and that the camera isn't worth their asking price. A good way of gauging if they are "Holiday sellers" is that they usually don't have any other gear up for sale.

• Like Like x 3
  8. melanieylang

Jun 23, 2017
    @Bidkev@Bidkev this Gumtree has other m43 gear for sale. I hadn't thought to look on FB marketplace though, thanks for the tip!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. For your reference, I have an old em5 that I now use solely for playing with MF lenses. I decided to do that after getting a used em1.

The controls are customized for the way I like to use MF. Also being an old camera, and with so many legacy lenses to play around, I can be less precious when swapping lenses. Being "robust" with the gear is giving me more fun!

• Like Like x 4
  10. melanieylang

Jun 23, 2017
    I really like the idea of having a dedicated camera for legacy lenses, and this one that interests me is the brown version, so it would be easily identified (as the broken one!). I tried out an EM10i as a back up body, but I didn't adjust to the close-but-not-close-enough layout, it just felt confusing.

11. melanieylang

Jun 23, 2017
    The seller replied to me but was very unhelpful and disinterested in making the sale. Too bad, I really fancied the fox brown model for something different!

12. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I bought a Fuji xe1 that someone had sheared the lens connection pins off of trying some crazy adapted lens. I think I paid $100 for it, which is about half of what they typically sell for. I stuck a $100 7artisans 35mm f1.2 manual lens on it and absolutely love it. On my trip to Yellowstone it was my most used camera. The xe1 has a dedicated shutter speed dial, so basically the lens stayed between f8-12 and at infinity focus 90% of the time. I just adjusted shutter speed to get the desired exposure and clicked away. I also noticed that not having AF greatly improved battery life.
    So if the deal is good enough , I would consider it. A lousy seller is a different issue, and maybe a good reason to avoid.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    If this body doesn't work out for you I think it is still a good idea to have a cheap beater to use with manual lenses. Sometimes (often) the people who are selling gear underpriced know little or nothing about what they have and care even less.
    This can be a bit scary for a buyer.
    I've actually bought gear that was stated as 'faulty' when the seller was simply ignorant!
    It does happen.
    BTW I'm glad to see another adapted lens user, be warned though; it's addictive 'saving' old glass.
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  14. How about buying a standard one and buying it a pair of trousers. My E-M5 and E-M10 wear the same clothes :) 

42657364791_40ae79e66f_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Emperor's New Clothes by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I would pay little for the camera. I see little market for broken cameras no matter what color. You could get good pictures as long as magnification ,IS and focus peaking were intact. How do you know if they are?

• Like Like x 1
  16. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If it was cheap enough, I would pick it up. What verification do you have that the AF actually doesn't work? You never know, maybe the previous user simply set it to MF and doesn't know how to change it back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Since the buyer is not all that interested in selling it, you probably are not interested in it anymore, but to answer your original question... Since the sensor is where the autofocus input occurs, my question would be if the AF problem is related to the sensor itself or is there another issue (broken pin on the mount not sending the AF motor signal or drive power for example). If it is the sensor, then I would skip it. But if the sensor otherwise appears to work fine then it may be ok. Problem is the seller many not have a true manual focus lens so they would only see a blurry view and couldn't be sure that the sensor is OK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. melanieylang

Jun 23, 2017
    Interestingly, the seller has cancelled and made a new listing, and reduced the price to $95. The thumb rest is missing, I noticed. If the controls only work some of the time it has to be a no-go, and I wonder how it works without a battery? ;) 

Screenshot_2018-10-26-08-50-29.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

19. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    When there is no battery or charger it means the camera doesn't work. Their way of avoiding telling facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Once sold a mint Canon 420EX flashgun for GBP 20, 'parts or repair' (wouldn't fire). The guy who bought it forced a refund via Ebay on the grounds that HE couldn't repair it. Will never sell anything on that basis ever again. The buyer's feedback history was saturated with references to refunds and 'understanding seller'.

• Sad Sad x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.