1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Worst packaging you ever received?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by monk3y, Jun 29, 2013.

1. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I just got curious, I just wonder what's the worst packaging you guys have ever received when you bought stuff online?

I ordered a third party BLS-5 battery through Amazon marketplace Japan a few days ago and the item arrived today. While the item is in good condition, I was shocked to see the packaging... The item arrived exactly like this, in a clear bubble wrap with no envelop, box or written address or whatsoever...

I think this is the worst packaging I have ever seen ever since I began buying stuff online a few years ago. :eek:

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not by a long shot, lol

I posted this back in the fall. This was an Amazon Warehouse buy. This is exactly how I got it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

outside box was fine. They had to have accidentally grabbed a bag w/one meant for the trash or something.

3. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    wow!!! that does look like trash... :eek::eek:

They did replace it right?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh, yeah. Amazon is great that way.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In my case the worst came from Canon Canada!

As part of my job I sent an $8000 projector in for repair. Besides the fact they said nothing was wrong (even though there was a problem with it) and they cleaned it, they sent it back in a clear plastic bag that was dusty on the INSIDE!

You can clearly see the flour like dust on the casing of the projector (which was immaculate before sending it to Canon) that was on the projector when removing the bag (the bold text is part of the image):
    dustonsx6aftercanonservice.

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Although I don't have a photo- when I ordered my CV 25mm f.95 from Amazon, it came in a large box, but the inside for whatever reason was lined with 2 UPS bubble envelopes, and the lens box just thrown in. The shipping box was about 3 times the size of the lens box, so it just bounced around inside freely. Good thing it was built like a tank.

The other time was when I ordered a Kiev 60 medium format soviet built tank camera. The box had basically been crumbled (the camera weighs something like 10 lbs), and someone at the Russian post tried to tape it together. Then apparently at some point when it arrive in America, it had fallen apart again, and someone at USPS tried to do the same. When I got it, half of the camera was sticking out of the package. The camera works flawlessly :wink:

7. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Another Amazon story: when I ordered my 100-300 mm from them (about $500 at the time), it arrived in the Panny box and an Amazon box that measured about 18" by 12" by 8" — in other words, many times larger than the lens box and absolutely no packing material at all. As you turned the large box around, you could hear the lens tumbling around inside.

Although the Panasonic box had some crush/cushion space at one end, the lens was close to touching the other end of the box.

I called and complained, and they sent me another by overnight shipping...and it arrived (un)packed exactly the same as the first. I gave up. Of course, the lens has worked flawlessly, but I have trouble understanding how they can carefully cushion a $10 item and do nothing at all for an expensive lens.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I received a package from B&H with nothing in it. It was sealed with three lousy pieces of tape and was delivered 'pre-opened'.

69693480873693451E.

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I once received a guitar, delivered ups, in it's hard case with shipping label taped to the case. No box. I was afraid to open it but there was no problem. I was surprised ups would deliver it without a box.

10. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    haha what did you order? :eek:

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I remember a while back someone on this forum had ordered a GF3 (or GF2) with a 14 mm lens. It was a real deal, essentially the 14 with a free body thrown in. The UPS box looked fine, but the camera box inside had clearly been crushed as if it had been run over by a fork lift. Camera and lens were utterly destroyed. I couldn't find the original thread, but the photos were incredible.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A Fuji X-Pro1 grip. The first guy I got at B&H was pretty lame ... wanted me to "photograph the damaged item" ... there wasn't any item ... I got another person who whisked me through the reclaim process after calling the pretty lame guy ... lol pretty lame.

Gary

13. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    almost the same story as the second poster on this thread. Except his is 20mm f/1.7 and a camera.

haha...:2thumbs: If that ever happens to me here, with my limited Japanese language ability, I wonder how I would be able to explain that situation here.:confused:

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Oh man, I remember living in Kobe ... getting around with little indigenous language skills is tough in Japan. I hope you have Japanese friends who speak your mother tongue.

15. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    :biggrin: Yes you know how it is here :wink:

Btw, I love Kobe, nice quiet place with a great big seaside mall.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I was there assisting in the cleanup of the Great Hanshin Earthquake.

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apart from some sparsely packaged photography gear like adapters coming in an envelope, I got this box that was containing violin outfits (in cases) which went interstate by mistake & surprisingly the contents survived. I asked the driver why he didn't tape up the box & he came back with a lame reply as to why he couldn't. :rolleyes:

P2122242-s.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I don't think it was a lame reply. I'm sure their policy is that their customers bear responsibility for the integrity of their packaging. If the driver touched it to try to improve it, some of the liability for negligent packaging would shift to the driver/shipping company.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I have to ask. If it didn't have an address on it, how did it get to you? Did a courier hand deliver it. How would the courier have known where to take it?

As for packing jobs, not the worst I've seen at all. Once, someone shipped me a laptop in a envelope. Not a padded envelop. No padding around the laptop before sticking it in an envelope. Just the laptop in a big envelope.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If their (the couriers) policy was more about avoiding litigation, then I hardly call that service. At least Australia Post will generally re-tape up a package with a note on it if opened.