Worst M43 body?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by yakky, Dec 16, 2013.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    So hopefully this will be somewhat of a fun thread, though no doubt some loyal owners will get their feathers ruffled...

In your opinion, what is the worst M43 body?

I've owned the G5, GF3, GX1, PL1, PL3 and PM2. For me its the Panasonic GF3. The only thing it does well is size. It reminds me of the horrible game of golf. Every once in a while things are great, you are on top of the world, but most of the time you are cursing the camera left and right. For me the white balance is unusable indoors unless tweaked for every light source. The lack of buttons and UI are frustrating and the sensor just doesn't have good DR or noise performance. The flash is a joke and the JPEGs have horrible skin tones (ok for lanscapes though). DXO9 makes the camera almost palatable but then I'm reminded I can reach for my PM2 or PL3.and get better results with less work.
  2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    While I like this camera, I have to acknowledge what you're saying is right. JPEGs are useless (though I always shoot raw), controls are very basic (in some cases, it's impossible to understand why... What do you mean I can't control flash power?), and anything in shadows is hopelessly noisy.

Still, I enjoy shooting it as the body feels good for what it provides, and I find the size and even the flash useful (bounce off the ceiling works well with the 45mm indoors, and with the 14mm say, inside a car). But it's time for me to move on to greener pastures and retire this little bugger.

I would nominate the EPL3/5 for worst control scheme... It's maddening to get at the buttons above the screen. Also, 16:9 screen, WTF. Excellent value, however.
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Olympus E-P1. Just about every aspect of that camera has been improved in successor models. With possible competition from the Panny GF5, which is basically a more expensive GF3. I can't speak ill of the GF3, because I got mine for $200 including the 14mm f2.5 lens, so when I turned around and sold my GF3 new out of the box for $100, it left me with the 14mm lens for $100 brand new.

And though the controls of the E-PL3/5 are lousy out of the box, they are highly customizable, and can be set up to allow one push button access to Shutter, Aperture, EV Comp, ISO, and WB. And what else do you need?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've owned the GH1, GF1, GF2, GF3, G3, GX1, E-PL1, E-PM1, E-P3, E-PL5, E-M5

G3 really stands out as the only camera I did not like.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, the GF3 wasn't all that great. At sub $100 prices, the GF2 is my pick for top bargain M43 body. Fast AF, big touch screen LCD, stereo recording mics, hot shoe, battery compatibility with the G3/GX1 and made in Japan all metal-chassis. Even though the E-PM1 has a better mechanical shutter and engine processing specs, I found the body way too buggy and Olympus opting for the small form factor with the anemic LCD screen and omitting the pop-up flash doesn't really make it a very user friendly camera.
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I rather liked the GF3. The size and weight was nice, and it fit well in my hand. It has since been improved on though, the GM1 seems like everything it should have been.

But I suppose next to all of the other bodies, it is probably in a tie with the GF5 for the worst. The GF5 is a bit larger and heavier, but it gives you a much better LCD which is important with a camera that can't use an EVF.

I do wonder if Panasonic will continue the GF in the future.
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I/m going to take a different approach to answering this. I haven't had any really bad bodies, but the one that disappointed me the most was the EM-5. I know many people will call it their favorite, and I really wanted to like it. But for me, the ergonomics just didn't work at all, and I discovered I hate Oly's menus.
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Olympus EPL1. It was my first m43 camera and my first decent camera in about 25 years. But after trying to get to like it for a couple of months, I got to try an EP2 and the EPL1 was gone shortly after. The EPL1 was fine in terms of IQ and all of the quantifiable stuff, but the interface was HORRIBLE - not a dial or wheel or even rocker switch - nothing but BUTTONS to control everything. In aperture priority you had to push one button to arm two other buttons to adjust the aperture up or down. I hated it and never adapted to it at all. The EP2 was no great shakes by todays standards but it felt like so much more workable a camera in comparison. The EPL1 almost made me abort my attempt to get back into photography... I've had other bodies I never quite LIKED, but that was personal preference, nothing I'd really complain about. But the EPL1 took what I thought was a terrible direction on the interface. Just not workable...

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The short lived and long discontinued Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10. Absolutely terrible in every way.
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've owned G1, E-PL1, and OMD E-M5.

Honestly, I can't really say that any of them were really "that" bad. In fact, I just bought another used E-PL1 as I have long adjusted to its waky user interface (oddly enough). haha.
  11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I give the E-P1 some slack because it was the first and still looks really cool. I am tempted to say the E-PL1 because of the poor screen and no control dial, but it is a little utilitarian box of a camera.

I will instead nominate the E-PM1. No control dial AND no PASM dial made it a pain in the neck to use for me. Plus all the complaints about the poor IBIS (I didn't use it enough to verify this myself.)

Fun thread idea!

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    It really boggles my mind how many camera bodies some of you go through in just a few short years... :eek:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Even though I have an E-M5 with 2 dials and EVF, I still shoot most still images with the E-PL1. The low resolution, but bright LCD of the E-PL1 enables me to better judge exposure than the high resolution but dimly lit OLED of the E-M5. So more E-PL1 shots are keepers.

And with practice I have found I can quickly change aperture and exposure compensation with the E-PL1's buttons. IMHO, the E-PL1 has the brightest and sharpest jpegs of any Olympus body bar none (except maybe the E-M1 which I havn't tested yet). So the E-PL1 belongs in the m4/3 Hall of Fame, IMHO.
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, maybe, but I'll bet very few of us shoot with two of them in front if our faces at once! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Of course "worst" doesn't mean "bad". Of the Pen bodies, the E-P1 was nominally the worse since improvements were made in later models. However, the AF was fine after the firmware upgrade and it was a nicely made camera. It's also the only camera I ever bought again, albeit for $92.
  16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wasn't there a similarly-titled thread a little while back? It is a bit weird of a topic, because one man's awful is another's awesome... I too was a little disappointed in the GF3 (my first m4/3 camera), but I can understand how the size and weight of the thing made it a great fit for some. So, while it wasn't the camera for me, I understand why others have been pleased with it.
  17. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    For me it has to be the E-M1. It's the only body that's really tempting me and the one I can least afford.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I graduated from film SLRs to a Sigma DP1 after a long hiatus and mostly used it in prefocus mode with the VF-11. If I needed to do some close up work the MF assist was pretty groovy.

I then bought a GF1 which I tend to use with legacy lenses and enjoy very much. I updated to the GF5 which I use with the kit 14-42mm. I won't be buying another body for a long time, I'll just concentrate on tooling up with better legacy glass and knick-knacks like my minty fresh Russian turret viewfinder or Zeiss Ikon (Stuttgart) filters.

Oh, I haven't used any other m4/3 bodies so can't add anything constructive - I just wanted to participate. :thumbup:
  19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Haha you got me.

I use two bodies for portrait shoots, a prime on each instead of changing lenses. G2 and G5, nothing fancy.
  20. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    To me the whole point of M43 is small and light while having good enough IQ, so to me the worst body I've personally tried is the G5 which I sold within 2 weeks after getting it. Since the EM-1 seems like it's even heavier (G5 is 396gr, EM-1 is 497gr), to me that would be worst body, FOR ME.