Worlds smallest m43 camera

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Dunno, have had some GAS over gopros, but as I take stills I have managed to offset it with reason and M43 GAS... :eek:

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I think I'll stick with my GM-5. Before you know it someone will complain that this camera does not have an EVF or a flip screen and we will be off and running with those sorts of comments again.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905

steveadams

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Adams
I went to his kickstarter page and it has the usual hype:

4K video
3D noise filters to reduce noise, jitter, ghosting, and blurring
Able to shoot at 102,400 ISO with high IQ up to 6400 ISO
Continous focus that will not lose track of subject
200-300 millisecond latency (over WiFi)

The creator claims to have spent years in the camera industry. It says the team was founded in 2013 "and we love to dream".

Sounds to me like one wild dream.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
I think I'll stick with my GM-5. Before you know it someone will complain that this camera does not have an EVF or a flip screen and we will be off and running with those sorts of comments again.

What? No EVF or flip screen??? The nerve! :)

I like the idea, but simply adding a lens makes this thing comparatively huge. I suppose every bit counts on a quad though.

OlyMoose

Mu-43 Regular
About the same volume as the AIR01. I still really like the AIR. It may not be for every one but I have gotten some great shots with it.

As a matter of simple accuracy, the Olympus Air-A01 is significantly smaller, 112 ccs vs 172 for the Z E1. It is also lighter, 147 g with battery, vs 209 g.

I imagine the Z E1 "may" be a better video camera, not my area of expertise.

As you say, the Air A01 is an excellent still camera, a micro-mini E-M5. :flowers_2:

OlyMoose

Mu-43 Regular

I have Air A01, GM1 and GM5. I've built my small kit around the GM5, and continue to be very pleased with it.

Small is all about compromises that are the least poor fit to user needs. I've used several:

Oly E-PM2. This was immediately dismissed by most for the lack of buttons and dials. I LIKE that about it. Stuff it in a big pocket, a bag full of other stuff, etc., pull it out - and its settings haven't changed!!! No tilt screen, awkward (stupid, sold) add-on EVF only, but it's got IBIS.

Oly E-PL6 (or 5). Ttilt screen, adequate Fn buttons, but bigger than the E-PM2. The mode dial can get moved in transit/handling.

GM1. A real gem in so many ways, but in the end, the lack of an EVF finally did it in for me when I got a GM5.

GM5. I'm still in love. How many people know that the rear dial is dual purpose? Push in to switch between aperture and EV setting. Still a little frustrated that it doesn't have IBIS - AND Panny's primes mostly don't have OIS. Yes, the 42.5/1.7 is in my kit with it.

Moose

wbuzatto

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Walmyr T. Buzatto
This video was made with the Z-Cam on a tripod, in 4K. I liked the results, but it's in no way a camera for photos, and it's image stabilization is poor (or at least I couldn't make it perform in a satisfactory way). Forget about using it as an action camera, it cannot be compared with a GoPro in this regard.

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Its funny... A camera linked with a smart phone is something that has been suggested should appeal to the new generation of photographers, but systems like the Air didn't seem to benefit from this concept. Granted, the Air was an interesting idea that was kind of half-a**ed in several respects, but I wonder if this is truly a model that will attract people back into photography...

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
It seems more manageable than an Air (and no absolute requirement to use a phone just to see stuff on the back).

I think that's probably what kills the air, the lack of viewing options, cuz not everyone wants to be restricted to the phone the whole time, better if you can actually use the device by itself, even with limited ability (expanded with the phone). Especially don't want to be fiddling with the phone if you're trying to capture video.

I wonder if this is truly a model that will attract people back into photography...

Since it seems to be targeted for video (kind of the action cam market it looks like), it's flat sided form factor in my opinion makes it easier to put together into a sort of cage assembly and can get quite compact if you don't have to worry as much about protrusions. The lack of ergonomics would kill it for photography especially if the goal is to attract people back into photography in general.

Boy777

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eugene
I bought this Z Camera E1 when it was on Black Friday sale at B&H for $199. Since then I use it literally everyday. Camera is awesome. I use it as vlogging camera with SLR magic 8mm stopped down to 1/8 and focused to infinity. Video quality is way better then GoPro or similar action cameras. The only serious problem is sound. Sound from built-in mic is terrible - very quiet and a lot of noise. I have tried it with a lavaliere microphone Aputure a-luv - a some kind if better, but still too quiet and not very comfortable to walk with cord hanging all around. Does anybody have the same problem or maybe my camera is defective? Maybe somebody knows good compact on-camera omnidirectional mic? I have couple of shotguns but they are directional and when I vlog I am usually walk behind and carry a camera in front of me. I bought Feinier FE-269 but it doesn't work at all, I even do not know if it should? Need and appreciate any advises. Thank you!

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just got mine.

This thing is hilariously tiny with how the 14-42PZ has a larger diameter than the height of the camera. It becomes less of a cube with a cylinder and more of a cylinder with a cube when you mount a lens on it.

The image quality of it is definitely pretty decent but nothing to be super excited about with the current generation sensors (20mp, GH5/E-M1II, etc). I had low expectations given the costs of action cameras which don't have optical or sensor based image stabilization with their 1/3.2" and 1/2.3" sensors. I can only imagine what this could do with a gimbal, Speedbooster Ultra and a fast lightweight wide prime.

The built in is very quiet. Definitely want to run an external microphone on this.

I think I like this thing, low expectations and all. I just wanted something less expensive than my E-M1II that does video and did video better than a lot of things for under $250. Being able to use my current lenses is really nice.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just a quick followup since I'm actually playing around with it right now:
Speedbooster Ultra + Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 = Hillarious low light performance. Said combination also weighs more than the camera itself.

The E-M1II goes up to ISO 6400 in video.

This thing? 102400, granted it looks like trash but when it is actually that dark and you need something that acts like a poor man's image intensifier at some level... 12800-25600 isn't so bad but expect for your framerate to drop or at least have some kind of weird ghosting going on if there's movement. I could read 3/4" tall text black text on biege and white backgrounds from 3-4m away.

Also it gets warm in your hands. Like fairly warm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom