World's largest camera accessory?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I noticed that the 2016 version of the Toyota Tacoma pickup comes standard with a GoPro windshield mount.
TAC_MY16_0046_V001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Does that make this new truck the world's largest camera accessory?

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Here in Korea, "black boxes" are a common car accessory. In today's world, it makes a lot of sense to have a "black box" with fraudulent insurance claims from other drivers as well as evidence for proper insurance claims.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Here in Korea, "black boxes" are a common car accessory. In today's world, it makes a lot of sense to have a "black box" with fraudulent insurance claims from other drivers as well as evidence for proper insurance claims.
Yeah, I know that dash cams are really popular in Russia as well. They haven't caught on to any large degree here in the U.S. (at least not that I've noticed), but as the cost comes down I can envision this technology becoming much more prevalent.

It certainly wouldn't shock me if in ten years time all new vehicles come with a couple of cameras installed as standard equipment.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I don't get the point of a built in proprietary camera mount when most camera systems already offer a suction cup or clamp mount to do the same thing non permanently and for what is most assuredly a lower cost.

They are strongly encouraged by the NHTSA here in the U.S. and most new cars have them built in here as well.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Huh? As of 2013, the last year I lived in the states, no car manufacturer that I know of offered a black box as standard or optional accessory. By a black box, I mean a video cam that records front and rear video continuously to a flash drive regardless of whether the car's ignition is on.

Unless you're talking about safety peripheral cams for parking purposes?

They are strongly encouraged by the NHTSA here in the U.S. and most new cars have them built in here as well.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Huh? As of 2013, the last year I lived in the states, no car manufacturer that I know of offered a black box as standard or optional accessory. By a black box, I mean a video cam that records front and rear video continuously to a flash drive regardless of whether the car's ignition is on.

Yeah, I also haven't heard of this sort of "black box" feature available here. Parking assist cams are becoming more mainstream, but AFAIK they are only activated when the car is in reverse and they have no recording function.

Of course, I haven't bought a new car since 2013, so maybe things have changed?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend

I wasn't talking about cameras at all! :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/.../26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

"Black box" is common slang (At least in the U.S.) for a vehicle data recorder. Similar to the flight recorder on airlines.

Sorry for misunderstanding what you were referring to.

Latest threads

Top Bottom