World Press Photo winners 2010

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Spuff, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    That picture of the girl.... It really hits me in the stomach. Worthy winner.

One photo that makes me think about how can people be able to be so evil and cruel..

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for this link, Spuff. The photographs are award winning and many of them are powerful and packed with emotion. Strong stuff. The lighter hearted ones are also very well done.

3. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Amazing photographs, all of them. Astounding photographers who must steel themselves to photograph what we need to see.

4. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing photographs. Do the issues count more than the technique of the photo? Because it seems some of them would not be particularly hard to set up atleast to my novice self.

5. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I suppose the way an issue is illuminated by the photos is all part of what may make a press photo good.
    I think what makes a pro is more about being in a place and/or having access to people (who you may have to interact with in the right way to get the shot) rather than superior technical skill.
    You also have to put yourself in the position of sifting through thousands of photos - what stands out?

The New York Times link seems to have changed content.
    This is the main website, and gosh what photos there are:
    http://www.worldpressphoto.org/
    (I found it best to look at one winner and use next winner to carry on)
    This really is a stunning array of photos.

This is one very interesting photography idea:
    http://www.worldpressphoto.org/inde...mid=292&type=&selectedIndex=10&bandwidth=high