world press awards - some really great winners this year

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Feb 12, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Some really great and powerful photo's won this years world press photo awards.
    http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2015

First overall prize is of a gay Russian couple 'jon and alex' highlighting the plight of homosexuals in Russia.

However I think my favourites are the entry for blue sky days. Anyway some spectacular photos on display at that link.

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I just finished going through that gallery. Lots of very strong images, there.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  4. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I have no problems with staged photos. i see them as artistic. However raw photo journalism for me relies on it's ability to convey truth whether that truth is something comfortable or uncomfortable. It's honest.
    If it's simulated/staged photo journalism then the winner should have entered his photographs under such a category.

There is an interesting side article from the AFP talking about editing of content not being merely limited to photoshop / PP. That it can start with the actual image capture stage - the example they give is rotating the camera when taking a skii shot to make the slow look steeper!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.