Working on another model shoot. Retouch opinions please

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    hey guys,
    I'm working on a new set for a model I shot last Sunday. I just finished processing the first 2 photos that I like. Can you guys give me some input on it?

ALl shot on Olympus E-PL2 with Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and a Metz 50AF shot off-camera

I like this one, even though I didn't get the best focus on the eyes.

2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    anyone?

3. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    In the first shot, I would probably have moved the chair away sun as the right side is pretty blown. In addition, the subject's may have a bit too much oil on her face as it appears to be glistening a bit too much.

Looks good! Those are just my personal non-professional opinions.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Not too sure I like the pose in the first one, but the second shot I definitely do - my major gripe would be the skin is just too plastic looking on both shots..... nice work just the same.... :thumbup:

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Maybe it's just my personal preference but I feel that both shots are a tad too warm.

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I was contemplating about the warmth of it. My reasoning behind this scene is more like a Banana Republic type of look.

As for the "plastic" skin, I can probably tone it down a bit, since it's done in Lightroom.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    On my monitor, she's a bit "orange". Could be her tan though...

Pose-wise, I think the first picture would work slightly better if her left leg was on the couch too, laying extended.

8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    The washed out highlights of the sunny corner of shot #1 really distract from what could otherwise be a nice composition. It makes the picture very unbalanced. I think her pose works well for the composition. It emphasizes shapely legs and the soft organic angles of the wicker loveseat.

There is certain stylistic expectation to pinup photos that requires that overly airbrushed plasticky look to the skin. If that is what you are aiming at, it works fine. If you want something that feels more candid, like you just happened to capture a friend at a rare moment, all the pin-up processing and heavy make-up needs to go.

my $0.02.
    -Steve

9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Shot 1: Chin is forward and too low. Eyes are looking severely to the right and down.

Chin should be up 2", face turned toward left shoulder another 15 degrees, eyes should be making contact with an imaginary point.

Shot 2: Better eye contact, chin is up (much better fir this facial structure).

I agree with the comments regarding skin shine... hot spot in #1 etc.

Cheers, Alan

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Wow, thank you everyone so far for the comments and feedbacks. So if you take a look at the photos again, I toned down the warm skin tones, toned down the shine on the face in photo 1, and cloned out the distracting background from photo 1.

As for the suggestions on the poses, I definitely see what you guys meant. It's all in the details, huh?

What do you guys think of the edit photos?

11. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Can't see the first photo.

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Try now

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Much better - looks way more natural, although you should keep the originals up as well. I'm reading this on a different monitor, so I can't be sure if it's your edits, my monitor, or both :tongue:

14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Sure, I can do that!

Here is the first one, new and old

5849783378_7fcc7afd42_o.

Here is the second one, new and old

5849783818_c105be1b7d_o.