Working on a review for Asus ZenBook Pro Duo

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On personal computers I pre-date MSDOS, and go back to CP/M. I can still remember the PIP command.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
On personal computers I pre-date MSDOS, and go back to CP/M. I can still remember the PIP command.

Do you remember ED? The only line editor more unfriendly than EDLIN... 😂

Get control over Windows updates
- Run gpedit.msc
- Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
-- Configure Automatic Updates: change to Enabled and option 2.

Getting control over Windows Update: what I usually want is to disable automatic updates completely. But every time I do that, through whatever method, after some time, Windows disables my disabling on its own. Only way to get the system to do what I want, more or less, is to disable Internet. Preferably by removing the hardware.

I would call that "virus like behavior", also in that Windows keeps on growing uncontrollably.

Windows is a rats nest. The start of losing control over Windows was when MS started to implement use of the registry. Before this, one had a decent shot at keeping track of the system. Now...? Heh, heh, heh...

Funny thing is that on QDOS on the Sinclair QL I could run multiple tasks flawlessly in 128 KB of RAM (in 1984). For instance, running separate tasks addressing the same graphics memory address range, simultaneously. This true multitasking OS fit into between 32 - 48 KB, with integrated networking... That was back when economy in programming was mandatory. Now - just make the user buy new hardware.
IMGP3214-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not to say that QDOS was bug free. Or that it had as much functionality as contemporary offerings. But it was possible to get your head around it, back in the day when you bought a device, and truly owned it.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you remember ED? The only line editor more unfriendly than EDLIN... 😂

Getting control over Windows Update: what I usually want is to disable automatic updates completely. But every time I do that, through whatever method, after some time, Windows disables my disabling on its own. Only way to get the system to do what I want, more or less, is to disable Internet. Preferably by removing the hardware.
I don't remember ED, I probably tried to forget it.

If you follow the instructions I gave I assure you all updates will be disabled forever, even after major version upgrades.

You do need the Pro version of Windows, as the aim is to maximise reliabilty of Windows and minimise malware spread by making updates mandatory for home users, and I think that policy has been hugely successful.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I don't remember ED, I probably tried to forget it.

If you follow the instructions I gave I assure you all updates will be disabled forever, even after major version upgrades.

You do need the Pro version of Windows, as the aim is to maximise reliabilty of Windows and minimise malware spread by making updates mandatory for home users, and I think that policy has been hugely successful.
Going to try it later tonight. But I think I have been down that road before. As of now, I only have sacrificial lambs connected to the internet.
I've always been running "pro" versions of Windows when I can fit them into the hardware. I think I'm running "home" on my old end of support HP Chromebook, though.
Using it for old Infocom games in DOSbox 🤪
Reliability wise, I don't really see any difference between "home" and "pro" versions.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I never thought I would feel this way but you managed to make a (to be honest I don't feel or consider myself) millennial feel ... young :p (First PC in 1995, first internet home connection in 2005, first DVD writer in 2007 and yes I had internet before I had the capability of writing DVDs, first high-end PC in 2016 but barely high-end, first higher than 1TB hard drive in 2019 :p )

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I never thought I would feel this way but you managed to make a (to be honest I don't feel or consider myself) millennial feel ... young :p (First PC in 1995, first internet home connection in 2005, first DVD writer in 2007 and yes I had internet before I had the capability of writing DVDs, first high-end PC in 2016 but barely high-end, first higher than 1TB hard drive in 2019 :p )
Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, this is a machine so primitive that you press down a key for each individual hole you want in the punched card. You have to memorise the combinations, so something like 2+3+5 would be a comma. If you make a mistake you have to start again with a new card. After preparing the pack of cards it was posted off and a week later a printout would arrive saying one character was wrong so it didn't compile or run, so correct the card and send the pack back again.

1586175059016.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Thanks, I think... 😶 first IBM compatible PC in 1984 (256 KB RAM, MDA display, DOS 2.1). Anyway, we are as young as we're telling ourselves we are, right?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Reliability wise, I don't really see any difference between "home" and "pro" versions.
There should be no difference other than in the features provided. The home version lacks the gpedit.msc program for example.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, this is a machine so primitive that you press down a key for each individual hole you want in the punched card. You have to memorise the combinations, so something like 2+3+5 would be a comma. If you make a mistake you have start again with a new card. After preparing the pack of cards it was posted off and a week later a printout would arrive saying one character was wrong so it didn't compile or run, so correct the card and send the pack back again.

View attachment 812621
This is really nice! I'm a relatively new comer to this computing thing, with my first experience with the TI-59 with magnetic strips and Sinclair's ZX81. Respect!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
My kids are Millennials. I tried Windows 1, used Windows 2, and developed applications for Windows 3.

At one point my mother was a Digital reseller and we had a DEC Rainbow running CP/M in the house while I was in college. It was the first machine I did a hardware upgrade on. I sold floppy disks on campus to make some extra cash since I could get them by the case wholesale.

Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, ........
Never worked on one, just missed them in college. But I did work places where they were in use. I never had the joy of trying to reorder a dropped deck.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Another update: finally worked up the courage to request for RMA for the laptop. Since it's my only computing device it's hard for me to part with it for repair but I have no choice, it doesn't seem to be a Windows Update problem at this point and it's not fixable with software solutions. I have a trip to Sicily coming up in 2 months and I need it in working condition.
Asus told me that because of COVID19 the repairs may take longer than usual ... hope that's not 2 months or more.

In the meantime, I will try to manage with a 2017 iPad so I might have to rely on JPEG editing for a while :(

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
And some people wonder why I stick with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ... Last stable version of Windows Workstation!

I have preserved one PC for running my dedicated slide/negative scanner under XP Pro. Before Microsoft obligingly removed them, I downloaded all the updates for XP Pro from after SP3, and have them safely stored in multiple places/media. Including all the converters for Office 2003 Pro (last stable version of Office ... ).

I too date from the punch card era. Over 45 years using computers, with 30 years in my own business.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
And some people wonder why I stick with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ... Last stable version of Windows Workstation!

I have preserved one PC for running my dedicated slide/negative scanner under XP Pro. Before Microsoft obligingly removed them, I downloaded all the updates for XP Pro from after SP3, and have them safely stored in multiple places/media. Including all the converters for Office 2003 Pro (last stable version of Office ... ).

I too date from the punch card era. Over 45 years using computers, with 30 years in my own business.
Wow, you have more due diligence than a WWIII nuclear bunker :p
It's becoming increasingly obvious that we are fast losing out early technology past with not enough preservation being done to support legacy beyond individuals like you being precautious well in advance. I would have stuck with Windows 7 but I love gaming too much and support for Windows 7 is quickly diminishing (features, performance, compatibility, software support, etc).
And I knew I bit a hard bullet when buying such a "prototype" nature of a laptop with very little support down the line (past the 1 or 2 years). Expensive lesson learned.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
@L0n3Gr3yW0lf I have drivers for every piece of h/w I have ever installed for anyone, Ovidiu. Takes up a few GBs on my HDDs, but once a company has gone out of business, there is generally no source for this stuff, other than poxware ridden crap from "driver" sites.

Needless to say, these files get backed up fairly regularly.

My original web site had as its motto "Computers should just work", and a secondary thought that one should "Never trust a computer"! Digital data is completely ephemeral. One second it's there, the next second you have a dead HDD with zero data ... Short of physical HDD damage, I can usually recover data from dead HDDs, just so long as they use a recoverable file system - e.g. NTFS ...

I also use Enterprise level HDDs in my main workstation - i.e. server centre level drives. They cost more, but data is irreplaceable, as plenty have found out to their great cost.

BTW, Windows 7 only loses performance if not properly maintained. I run my main systems off high quality SSDs (backed up by imaging), with said enterprise level spinning disks. The latter are more robust than SSDs, even if much slower. They can also usually be recovered, SSDs usually cannot be recovered if they fail.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I have gone through a lot of pains both with losing data and with losing pace of keeping up to date. It’s financially difficult with my photography hobby, if I were to add my computing part as well I might as well give up on everything else I would want or need in life.
I used to be worried a lot about trying to keep my old hardware best I could, physical condition as well as software and backup related, but it’s like a fight against time itself, there’s not much you can do at some point.
Windows 7 was a very nice operating system but as much as I hate a Windows 10 and Windows in general the latter has better m.2 and SATA performance compatibility with SSDs as well as faster transfer speeds for WiFi 6, Thunderbolt, Intel Optane, and more features for gamers oriented people: Direct X 12, RTX, Vulkan API, and a lot more.
I have started to give up the fight of legacy support of software, games and OS and just go with the flow. Back up on one 3.5” HDD and one 2.5” SSD, at the moment this is all I can afford, and when formats change again, like JPEG to HEIF, like if DNG is not being actively supported anymore I will convert my images to something better.
Yes, data is as solid and permanent as air and the atmosphere we breath, printing is something I have grown interest in as a legacy form of backup and long term storage but in a limited capacity, mostly I try to spread my work to as many people as I can and hope that one day there still something of “my work” will be out there when I’m not here any longer.

Now this is all cheerful :p

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
My main workstation is a hand-me-back from a client to whom I supplied them in 2010 ...

I added SSDs, more memory, enterprise quality HDDs and better graphics cards. I already had high quality monitors. Basically, upgraded them from office PCs to higher standard PCs. Upgraded the OS from W7 Pro 32 bit to 64 bit.

They work well enough for my purposes.

My XP Pro PC dates from 2006. Still works perfectly.

I always build my own, as they just throw them together at my suppliers.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom