Working on a review for Asus ZenBook Pro Duo

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On personal computers I pre-date MSDOS, and go back to CP/M. I can still remember the PIP command.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
On personal computers I pre-date MSDOS, and go back to CP/M. I can still remember the PIP command.
Do you remember ED? The only line editor more unfriendly than EDLIN... 😂

Get control over Windows updates
- Run gpedit.msc
- Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
-- Configure Automatic Updates: change to Enabled and option 2.
Getting control over Windows Update: what I usually want is to disable automatic updates completely. But every time I do that, through whatever method, after some time, Windows disables my disabling on its own. Only way to get the system to do what I want, more or less, is to disable Internet. Preferably by removing the hardware.

I would call that "virus like behavior", also in that Windows keeps on growing uncontrollably.

Windows is a rats nest. The start of losing control over Windows was when MS started to implement use of the registry. Before this, one had a decent shot at keeping track of the system. Now...? Heh, heh, heh...

Funny thing is that on QDOS on the Sinclair QL I could run multiple tasks flawlessly in 128 KB of RAM (in 1984). For instance, running separate tasks addressing the same graphics memory address range, simultaneously. This true multitasking OS fit into between 32 - 48 KB, with integrated networking... That was back when economy in programming was mandatory. Now - just make the user buy new hardware.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not to say that QDOS was bug free. Or that it had as much functionality as contemporary offerings. But it was possible to get your head around it, back in the day when you bought a device, and truly owned it.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you remember ED? The only line editor more unfriendly than EDLIN... 😂

Getting control over Windows Update: what I usually want is to disable automatic updates completely. But every time I do that, through whatever method, after some time, Windows disables my disabling on its own. Only way to get the system to do what I want, more or less, is to disable Internet. Preferably by removing the hardware.
I don't remember ED, I probably tried to forget it.

If you follow the instructions I gave I assure you all updates will be disabled forever, even after major version upgrades.

You do need the Pro version of Windows, as the aim is to maximise reliabilty of Windows and minimise malware spread by making updates mandatory for home users, and I think that policy has been hugely successful.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
I don't remember ED, I probably tried to forget it.

If you follow the instructions I gave I assure you all updates will be disabled forever, even after major version upgrades.

You do need the Pro version of Windows, as the aim is to maximise reliabilty of Windows and minimise malware spread by making updates mandatory for home users, and I think that policy has been hugely successful.
Going to try it later tonight. But I think I have been down that road before. As of now, I only have sacrificial lambs connected to the internet.
I've always been running "pro" versions of Windows when I can fit them into the hardware. I think I'm running "home" on my old end of support HP Chromebook, though.
Using it for old Infocom games in DOSbox 🤪
Reliability wise, I don't really see any difference between "home" and "pro" versions.

Real Name
Ovidiu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never thought I would feel this way but you managed to make a (to be honest I don't feel or consider myself) millennial feel ... young :p (First PC in 1995, first internet home connection in 2005, first DVD writer in 2007 and yes I had internet before I had the capability of writing DVDs, first high-end PC in 2016 but barely high-end, first higher than 1TB hard drive in 2019 :p )

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I never thought I would feel this way but you managed to make a (to be honest I don't feel or consider myself) millennial feel ... young :p (First PC in 1995, first internet home connection in 2005, first DVD writer in 2007 and yes I had internet before I had the capability of writing DVDs, first high-end PC in 2016 but barely high-end, first higher than 1TB hard drive in 2019 :p )
Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, this is a machine so primitive that you press down a key for each individual hole you want in the punched card. You have to memorise the combinations, so something like 2+3+5 would be a comma. If you make a mistake you have to start again with a new card. After preparing the pack of cards it was posted off and a week later a printout would arrive saying one character was wrong so it didn't compile or run, so correct the card and send the pack back again.

1586175059016.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Thanks, I think... 😶 first IBM compatible PC in 1984 (256 KB RAM, MDA display, DOS 2.1). Anyway, we are as young as we're telling ourselves we are, right?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Reliability wise, I don't really see any difference between "home" and "pro" versions.
There should be no difference other than in the features provided. The home version lacks the gpedit.msc program for example.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Erik
Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, this is a machine so primitive that you press down a key for each individual hole you want in the punched card. You have to memorise the combinations, so something like 2+3+5 would be a comma. If you make a mistake you have start again with a new card. After preparing the pack of cards it was posted off and a week later a printout would arrive saying one character was wrong so it didn't compile or run, so correct the card and send the pack back again.

View attachment 812621
This is really nice! I'm a relatively new comer to this computing thing, with my first experience with the TI-59 with magnetic strips and Sinclair's ZX81. Respect!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
My kids are Millennials. I tried Windows 1, used Windows 2, and developed applications for Windows 3.

At one point my mother was a Digital reseller and we had a DEC Rainbow running CP/M in the house while I was in college. It was the first machine I did a hardware upgrade on. I sold floppy disks on campus to make some extra cash since I could get them by the case wholesale.

Then I will admit now that I go back much further, long before the first PC. My very first computing was in about 1968 using a hand card punch, ........
Never worked on one, just missed them in college. But I did work places where they were in use. I never had the joy of trying to reorder a dropped deck.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom