1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Working D-Mount Adapter (with pics)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nhfoley, Jan 26, 2013.

1. nhfoley

nhfoley New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    This is a work in progress, but I thought I'd post this here as it may be of interest to some people.

After purchasing a few dirt-cheap D-Mount cine lenses from eBay, I realized that nobody was making an adapter for D-Mount to Micro 4/3rds. Even more - I found people saying that the conversion was impossible, due to the difference in Flange Focal Distance of the two formats. Looking at my camera though, it seemed like I could make it work.... so I modeled an adapter, and ordered a 3D print of it from Shapeways. This week, the part arrived... and I'm happy to say that it works! The fit isn't 100% perfect, but if you're careful installing the lens so you don't cross the threads, it does work quite well.

I'm still refining the model, but I wanted to post this here in case anyone else has been eager to try out any D-mount lenses. The FFD (and therefore focal range) is more or less correct, however, depending on the shape of your lens, it may be hard to fit fully in to the adapter. On one of my lenses, I had to remove a metal ring around the back side of the lens in order to make room for it to screw in far enough. I'm also curious to find out if the adapter works on cameras other than my E-PM1, which is the only m4/3rds camera that I've stared at the internals of.

Anyway, here's a link to the adapter if anyone wants to try it out (please provide feedback if you do): D-Mount to Micro Four Thirds Adapter by nhfoley on Shapeways

And attached are a few quick shots I took in my apartment using the Elgeet 12.5mm / f1.9 lens I have. Obviously, the vignetting is heavy and the lens is far from sharp, but the effect is interesting and I'm going to keep an eye out for more D-mount lenses in the future to continue to experiment.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. ultimind

ultimind Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm may order one and try it out on my OM-D. I would love to try one in Nikon CX mount, as it's a bit tighter crop.

The materials used to 3D print this adapter look a little on the el-cheapo side.

3. fotofun

fotofun New to Mu-43

May 6, 2011
    Thanking you for posting about this 3D printing service.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks, I've been looking for an affordable alternative then a custom machined piece.

5. nhfoley

nhfoley New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Yeah, they certainly do. I made sure to clean the adapter with an old toothbrush before putting it near my camera, as it comes a little dusty due to the way it is made.

Despite the rough surface, though, it is a fairly strong material (Nylon). There are cleaner-looking materials it could be printed in, but they would be weaker and less accommodating of intolerance in the thread mount.

If anyone is interested in designing their own mounts for m4/3rds, I can share the m4/3rds mount portion of the model here. I've been tossing around the idea of designing a 3D printed helicoid adapter, to fill some gaps in the m4/3rds helicoid adapter market (I want m4/3rds to L39, helicoid...) but I'm not convinced there is enough room between the two formats to make a plastic adapter that is strong enough for a heavy lens.

6. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Ordered one!

I won a Yashica c-mount lens on ebay. But it's a d-mount, and is too cute to send back, so I googled.

First 3d printed object I've (knowingly) bought, so I'm excited about that lol, but I live in the UK, so who knows when it'll arrive.

7. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Why can't one be machined out of a metal? I understand the cost for 3D printing to test out, but once you have it more dialed in, it should be machinable to allow for heavier lenses.

8. GH1/FD

GH1/FD New to Mu-43

May 11, 2013
    D mount adapter to M43

Hey! Kudos to you for coming up with this adapter.
    A lot of people forget about having fun with their cameras and lenses.
    Anyone can go out and buy an adapter but you actually created one.
    I'm not sure but I think the Olympus and the Panny GH1 can interchange lenses? Can someone out there advise I'm certainly going to get me your adapter. Do you ship to Australia?
    How exactly does your adapter stay on the camera body? Do you need to push the little button on the side to put it on/take it off?
    Keep up the creativity!
    Kind regards,
    Alex,GH1/FD

9. mpodols1

mpodols1 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2013
    Very neat to see this functional d mount to m4/3 adapter!

Since the flange focal distance for d mount lenses is actually smaller than it is for cs mount lenses (12.29mm for d mount vs. 12.5mm for cs mount), this gives me hope that it must be possible (and maybe not all that difficult) to create a cs mount lens adapter for micro 4/3.

Wish that I had the expertise to design such an adapter - hey nhfoley - I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there (myself being one of them!) who would be eternally grateful to see a cs mount to micro 4/3 adapter similar to your d mount to micro 4/3!

10. Gilsrq

Gilsrq New to Mu-43

May 27, 2015
    Gilberto
    I ordered one and it came in today. There are no threads for the lens portion and I'll need to carve out and thread it to accommodate the lens. Hope I don't screw up. Having said that. I would greatly appreciate the m43 modeling portion. Thanks for creating this.

11. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I have one of those rings. The only problem I found was that it did not have anything to tighten against with my c-mount adapter. So the lens could freely spin.

I had been trying to sell the two d-mount lenses I have and was going to include the adapter ring with it.

13. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I thought that might be the case. I expect to use locktite to try and secure it to the c mount adapter (if it looks like the lens is usable). Were you able to use the lens at all?

14. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    One of the two was usable. There are samples here. Of course it did not fill the sensor and acted like a macro. The center is extremely sharp. Probably the sharpest of any of my adapted lenses.

15. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Great images with that lens. I have a Zeika 1 1/2" Inch F/1.4 D mt Cine Tele Lens on the way. Hope I get similar IQ

16. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks.

Hmm... After looking at some of those images, I may have to get it back out and play with it some more.

17. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    The Shapeways adapter arrived and works. It did have a bit of 'processing dust' on it and had to be wiped down to prevent dust on the sensor. Now I just have to get out and use the lens