1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Working Alone

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Brewster, Aug 31, 2011.

1. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_l_snell/6078372322/" title="P3178625 - V2 by brucelsnell, on Flickr">"500" height="333" alt="P3178625 - V2"></a>

I feel that I do my best work as a photographer when I'm alone. Oddly, alone may be in a sea of people, but even then I am without companions. Typically, if shooting with friends or clients along, they can't help themselves and will point out what they feel will make a great photo. This is distracting for me and derails my focus (no pun intended).

The photo above is one of my favorite photos. While touring rural schools in Belize with a group from my church, I lagged a bit behind the tour and discovered this young lady outside of her classroom. The scene was quiet and natural and the dogs in the back were adding a whole other element to the story. I was being called into the classroom as my group feared I would miss a photo-op. I ignored their request and remained outside long enough to shoot this frame of the school girl. For me, this one photograph embodied the entire 8 day trip and I'm so glad I didn't answer the call of the "helpers" inside the classroom.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    my "mentor" works like that... he often (for most of his 40+ years in the biz), he shot alone. even when he was teaching me, he'd rather keep me company and just talk while walking and not shoot... somehow i adopted this and now, i prefer shooting alon or with a pal... but not in a group

3. swmlon

swmlon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    I definately agree with you on this. I work at my best when I am alone. I am irritated when I am out with others and they're always telling me 'this' and 'that' would be a good shot, this is especially the case when I'm just out and about on the streets. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    photography is best done it solitary. But that's why this forum is valuable. It needn't be a lonely hobby. I prefer to shoot alone, but it's nice to share the results if I mainly shoot for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    we must satisfy ourselves... our souls

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Very very nice pix Bruce.

In a group is fun and entertaining , but alone is all about photography ... in particular your photography.

G