Workflow recommendation

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by briloop, Mar 12, 2014.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Would like to get a recommendation on an efficient way to process images. I have Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6. I just bought a MacBook Air. The MBA has 8GB of memory - not a whole lot to work with. Don't ask me to buy a different machine - that is not an option.

Both LR5 and CS6 are memory hogs. What I am seeking is workflow to quickly look through 200-1500 images in order to decide on which ones to keep for processing.

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    When culling images to keep edit in meaning don't look for pics you don't like only look for pics you like and move on

I prefer to make a catalog for each wedding I do and import images build smart previews and while that's building eat lunch check email read forums :)

When done put a x in the original folder name containing the raw files this will force LR to use the smart previews

Then in loupe mode or press E so you see full size image use the arrow key
    Now here is where you get lots of folks ideas using dif methods to tag keepers
    I prefer to just hit B which puts them in the quick collection
    My reason I can quickly glance and see how many images. I have culled down to
    Be quick do you like it yes or no and move on don't over analyze it's important to be quick here
    Once done I go to my quick collection and flag as keepers and put in 5 stars
    Since i shoot with multiple cameras I then go into metadata view in grid mode make each serial number unique color as it helps when doing work in develop mode

Once I do that go into develop mode and start working
    Once done go back to your raw folder take out that X of the folder name and export the images

Rough workflow idea what I do
    But smart previews make working in LR a lot quicker

I have a custom XKeys setup for develop mode makes it much quicker besides shooting weddings I also run a post production company for pro photographers
    So I do a lot of Rawls a lot of PS and we do a ton of albums

My idea of alr is to get a really good base file and tweak further in PS only so much can be done in LR some things best left to PS IMHO :)

I am a wedding portrait photographer so my workflow is about shooting people mostly not a nature tog or sports guy etc..

I edit each image in LR don't batch don't use presets really would rather do each image on its own
    Note I only PS images I post or go to album with LR does fine for going to couple as proofs

Been at this a long time and again with post production for others pretty quick works for me tried lots and lots of things ideas etc...

Biggest thing try dif methods for culling you like but try other methods not just one !

But some things like the smart previews will make you work much quicker in LR and then you only need to hook back up with your final images for output :) you can even have me on a external drive

My raw customers just send me the LR cat alog and smart previews location file then I send back the cat file so smart previews are awesome in LR for many things that is the one thing I would stress to take advantage of !
    Especially with a MBA !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Sort of in the same need as OP
  4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Should say when culling and being quick yes or no move on as you develop if you notice a image is blurry you can skip it then :) if you take to much time culling large numbers it wil bore you and you end up hating it :)

But quick move on you can always come back find missing image or something google edit in

For me doing weddings as example I don't need more than two shots of each group even if I take ten so check the bride groom are they looking yes parents yes others good move on once ai have tow. I don't try to compare all ten I got my two move on

Things like cake cutting same thing good shot doing the cut OK good shot getting ready to feed OK good shot feeding OK some fun stuff OK

Kinda how I cull sets if I take 50 images of the cake cutting might only grab 12 or so ?

The group shots are better idea how. I handle a bunch of the same kinda thing get a couple good move on don't over analyze each one

Now say. Y kids playing I will go over each and keep each great expression of them say playing on swings

When I am doing final edits is when I can decide to make even better decisions of my favs and star according then :)