1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Workflow for LR Raw + JPG

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Oct 17, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've got LR (5.7). I have started trying out regular RAW + JPG shooting.

What I want to do is load up the photos into LR, quickly evaluate across the JPGs for composition, blur, etc. (in full screen view with teh background blacked out) and then after I've culled, I want to compare the jpg vs. RAW in each pair for selected ones where I think it's a good photo, but I'd like to work the RAW to get a bit more color out of it.

My issues right now are when in full screen, LR gives me no photo info, so I often lose my place. If on import I select "treat jpg and raw as same photo" I am not sure where the jpg goes. LR seems to give me the LR-developed RAW to view, when I want to eval the jpg FIRST. I've also tried auto-stacking RAW + JPG together, but I can't seem to reject both photos if I don't like the composition. It seems to only reject the top (jpg) leaving me to manually go in and remove the RAWs.

I'm assuming I'm missing some little trick here. Anyone have a better way?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Why are you wanting to compare the raw and jpeg files to each other? You might be better served by learning how to evaluate the raw files for what they are.

--Ken

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I want to shoot jpg and only use RAW as a backup. I have no interest in post processing except in rare occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Probably LR is not the right tool, then. AFIK LR will always prefer the RAW file if both are in the folder.

If you just want to look at the JPGs in the folder (I'm assuming Windows here), just set the File Manager icon size to "Extra Large" for a quick look at the JPGs, then set your default program for JPGs to IrfanView and double-click to use that (free) program to look at them.

Alternatively you could manually split the RAW and JPG files into two similarly-named folders, then have LR import both folders. Then both versions would be available in your LR library. Splitting won't take you much time -- probably under a minute.

Edit: There is a switch in LR that says something like "Don't import suspected duplicates." You may need to turn that off to use the two-folder idea. I don't know.

Edit2: Looks like David A (below) has the right answer. I had no idea that his option was available.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My workflow is primarily raw, with jpeg files only shot when on tight deadline (and their raw counterparts imported into LR and jpegs eventually deleted), so I am not the best to comment on LR's raw+jpeg options. But, IIRC, LR primarily displays the raw file in the Develop module and uses embedded previews in the Library module so you might not be seeing the difference between the two files, especially if you are having LR treat them as the same photo. Regarding information on the viewing screen, this should be user adjustable to show what information you wish (from what is available for display).

Good luck,

--Ken

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    In the general preferences there's a preference for "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" in the Import Options. If you select that preference LR displays the RAW and JPEG files as separate images.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. bbien

bbien New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2013
    I've tried to do this at one point and found it just hopeless in lightroom. I use bridge daily as an illustrator and I would have to say that it probably would be quicker to do this sort of thing there as it's very simple to sort out files. I used to use bridge for all my photography files, I would import into a folder structure like this: year>month>date (event if applicable). You can develop your raws, then delete them once you're done much quicker than you can in lightroom. If you go this route and still need a DAM then use something like picasa alongside it.