1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wordpress photography template and hosting service

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Adstars, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Can anyone recommend a good Wordpress blog template, photography centric and somewhere to host it.

Perhaps even a service that provides both as a package deal.

Google search returns so many options, so I would rather get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks

2. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Check out Squarespace. That's what I use, and it has a built in blog feature to the site as well. That is of course if you aren't married to the idea of WordPress.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

3. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, looks nice and simple.

4. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Check out Wordpress "Avid" theme, it's around $79 (one time fee). There's also one that I like and it's free "Imbalance 2"- some photographers use this theme.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Go to WP.com and search their themes. Many of those are also available for use on hosted sites with WP.org.

--Ken

6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have purchased Wordpress themes from Envato / Themeforest and been very pleased with them. There are plenty of photography-specific designs to choose from, with a lot of different 'looks' and styles available.

As for hosting, I have used Godaddy and 1and1, both are ok. Godaddy-hosted sites seem to load faster than 1and1, but I have no definitive proof of that.

7. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I recommend never, ever, ever, ever using GoDaddy, for anything. I've had many terrible experiences with them over the years. You may be happy with it and find it is perfectly suited for what you need, which is great, but if OP is starting fresh, I would recommend these two sites:

Site5: For web hosting. Really great customer service, very reliable servers, excellent web interface to manage your account, and very affordable.

Hover: For domain hosting. Hands-down the best customer service I have ever experienced in my life out of any company. When you call their number, one ring, a human answers, "Hello, how can I help you?", and then proceeds to fix whatever problem you are having. I am a huge advocate of hosting your domains separately from your web hosting account just because it makes like easier if you decide to host your server with someone else in the future.

Like I said, GoDaddy works for a lot of people, but if you don't already have everything set up with them, the above two places would be my choice for web/domain hosts.

8. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    I eventually picked Squarespace. It is a little limited with regards to features but it was very simple to use and I was up and running quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

adamsmithphotoblog.com is my new domain

9. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I just started using both Bluehost and Smugmug. Bluehost hosts my Wordpress powered blog and Smugmug powers my gallery, but I attached a subdomain to my Smugmug account, so it appears as if it's just part of my blog despite being on a different host. The blog uses the Twenty Twelve theme that I modified a bit.

The Cooked Pixel
    The Cooked Pixel - Gallery