1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wooyung – Spring ’11

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Took a break away from Brisbane a short while ago, back to a place I used to live so I knew the fields. It rained a bit but this creature, a cricket, enjoyed the warmth of my hand so early in the morning.

Just various settings and times and directions of shooting give the varying BG's. A lively girl? I had some work keeping from my hand but it worked for the shoot, slow enough moving.

[​IMG]

p2090920_markberkery.

p2100080_markberkery.

p2100068_markberkery.

p2100070_markberkery.

• Like Like x 9
  2. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    No comment? No problem. :)

Maybe it should have gone into one of those never ending 'that wasn't really me' threads. Ha,ha!

Things to do, places to see ... Gotta go now ... fart-in-elevator. ... :popcorm2:

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Think of the time mate. I'm up late and appreciate your efforts. But stow the attitude it doesn't fly here.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Wow ... nice processing and good shooting.

Gary

5. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

I must've missed this the first time.
    If it's not on the front page when I visit it slips through.

Glad you pulled it back up. Those are some of the best yet!
    Amazing colours and details. Such clarity and sharpness.

How do you train them to pose like that??
    Love No. 4 especially against the dark blue background.

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Mark, I just read through "Macro Illustrated" and I want to thank you for putting it together. It was both fun and inspiring to read - I have a Hexanon 55/3.5 macro lens sitting on the shelf that I will try to put to use in the spring!

7. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    If it's so late mate maybe you should be in bed. But stow the attitude it doesn't fly here. :rofl: Where's that damn fly gone ...

8. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Very little to do Gary, just a little tweaking, 20sec + NeatImage for noise and sharpness. I prefer jpg's and as close to how I want them OOC, and each cam has its characteristics - take 'em as they come.

It's one of the great things about wild nature shooting, you might have to take more shots but you do get surprises that don't come otherwise.

9. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    G'day RB. I preferred the white-ish BG myself. And they are trained by my pet Cane Toads down in NSW coastal wetland, as soon as a CT comes along they jump and climb those reeds. :)

I'm not a permanent resident of any forum, posting on 8 or so just for images and running a few sites. This post has been on the front page here for nearly a month. I know people get tired of seeing anything too often but I thought these would get a comment or two and was wondering why they didn't.

Perhaps it's because I'm not resident, so to speak? I do look at other stuff at any forum I visit, not a lot, and do comment. But prefer not to be negative unless someone asks for CC (on just one image - not a few) and will give time to anyone who wants to get better macro. I don't comment on much outside my genre, unless it's obviously been developed - you can tell.

Of course my main site is about more than macro and I tend to stick to my main focus, single pointed, just like my camera/s. :)

10. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Fin. You've gotta have a little fun sometime, even if some unwashed sleepy heads get upset. :)

It's a good idea to do some practise on stationary objects to get used to placing the very shallow DOF, getting angles right and that sort of thing. It's as much a physical discipline as anything else, controlling the movement of the body in difficult situations. And re-read the part on lighting, most important to user satisfaction - or absence of frustration.

... best. M

11. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Mark has been very helpful to me before with advice on setting up my camera for Macro - which just happens to be the same as yours Fin - an EPL1 with Konica Hexanon 55 Macro lens.

Basically:

Use the on-board flash for exposure. You need to make a snoot to get the light above the end of the lens - see attached pics for a couple of ideas

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroboy07/6880255655/" title="EPL1 macro snoot2 by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr"> 6880255655_1f87611591_b. "1024" height="648" alt="EPL1 macro snoot2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroboy07/6880255515/" title="EPL1 macro snoot by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr"> 6880255515_2e86e965ff_b. "1024" height="623" alt="EPL1 macro snoot"></a>

Set ISO to base (200)

Stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 (which is equivalent to f/11 or f/16 respectively when the ext tube is attached)

Set shutter to max sync (160). Not that it matters much because the flash will be doing the exposure.

Turn IS off and try to use a monopod or similar to brace the camera.

Move in and out to obtain critical focus. The EVF helps here.

The premise is that the flash duration will determine the exposure speed - which may be around 1/1000th or faster for the burst.
    Without the flash, the scene may well be black if it's in the shade.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroboy07/5754531635/" title="P4243594 copy by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr"> 5754531635_a2dfb00d86_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P4243594 copy"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroboy07/6880260021/" title="Macro Fly4 by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr"> 6880260021_eb99520737_b. "1024" height="710" alt="Macro Fly4"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroboy07/6880260227/" title="Macro Fly on Alyssum by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr"> 6880260227_61b1033bcc_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Macro Fly on Alyssum"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  12. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    That's the way RB, it's amazing what can work when it's all you've got.

Just a couple things. If you've got the snoot set up so there is no loss of light and it delivered to an appropriate distance from the subject the pulse can a lot faster than 1/1,000, more like 1/10,000 - even faster depending on ambient light allowed.

That's the other thing. You can set the SS to allow some ambient light and the flash will still have enough stopping power to eliminate basic instabilities - hand shake etc. A little ambient in the BG is nice and can be atmospheric if you use the early or late light, as I do with most of my shots.

You will also find if your flash pulse is fast enough you can shave some diffraction. Settings are all relative but the principles are constant.

It's all in that article I wrote, too much to put it all here.

13. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    It says 'supporter', not mod or officer, so who has a sack of attitude for immediate storage?

:rofl:

Back to the issue at hand... Mark, I am in awe of your obvious skill, incoming PM!

:2thumbs:

p.s. Oh and of course the fact that you live in a fascinating region of the world from a Zoological viewpoint!

14. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Hehe, I just read your username out loud and spat red wine out my nose!

Farcanalman! What're you trying to do to me!

:biggrin:

15. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    So sorry...

Dude, I get that all the time!

Don't waste any more of that wine.

I like the thread content, it is giving me ideas!

:thumbup:

16. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks to both Mark and RetroBoy for the tips (and illustrated examples). I think my next DIY project is a snoot...

17. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks guys. Been away and don't like to leave comments unacknowledged. Much appreciated.