1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wondering which lens to get...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ranxoren, May 5, 2013.

1. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    So I currently have my OM-D with the Sigma 19mm and the kit 12-50mm.
    I do street photography and more mainly into street portraits.
    Debating between the Sigma 30mm and the Olympus 45mm.
    It seems the Oly 45mm is the better choice here judging by posts around the forum but I'm still unsure.

Now to throw a curveball (sorry!) the other one that is interesting me is the Rokinon 7.5mm which I think could be used to get some very interesting street photographs...

Thoughts between the 3 judging by my curent setup and interests?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Depends on your typical subject matter

My first instinct is to tell you to buy the wonderful 45mm Olympus but, it really does depend on what you like to photograph as your primary subject matter. I am thinking that you already have overlap with your Sigma and your kit zoom. Perhaps you should stretch and get a 40-150mm while it is on sale ($150.00) at such a good price. The value for the money is remarkable.

If you can give us some help with what you are passionate about as far as portraits, landscapes, street photography, and so on?

Fun times when you are trying to decide which new tool to add to the arsenal...

Dan

3. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Fun times indeed! Thanks for the input so far :)
    Like I mentioned in my OP I do almost only street photography and very much enjoy street portraits.

In which case the 40-150 (although I have considered it) would be nice (although not as good f/) but I am trying to eventually have a 3 prime lens setup.

Thoughts? Thanks again!

4. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I'll throw in a slight curveball here and recommend the Olympus BCL15 body cap lens as a great daylight street photography lens. It has a fixed f/8 aperture and a hyper focal detent that gives you a set-it-and-forget-it focusing experience, ideal for quick street shots.

There's a bit of field curvature to the lens that's easily corrected in raw with a preset that I use in SilkyPix - I shoot a G5 and find the bundled SilkyPix software does a great job at this, as would any modern raw software. Also, a bit of corner CA is also easily corrected in raw using presets.

The other advantage the BCL15 gives you is very light weight (essentially the weight of the camera body itself) along with much more compact size. My G5 ends up being as small as a compact P&S plus grip and EVF.

Finally, there's the issue of camera response. With a manual focused lens, it reduces shutter activation delay and therefore makes the street experience even better, especially when used with the G5's electronic shutter, an absolutely silent combination.

~Joe

PS- Forgot to mention the price of the BCL15 is low enough that it's worth getting just to experiment with.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Can't go wrong with the 45.

6. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I was eye-ing that lens just to toy around with but ended up getting this one which kinda meets all the points you've outlined and gives F1.7 and surprisingly very good results!

That seems to be the consensus... Any thoughts on the Sigma 30mm or the Fisheye?

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I prefer my 45mm Oly to my Sigma 30mm, the Sigma is surprisingly good (and it's cheap) but the 45 is just nicer to use.

8. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I have the 19mm Sigma and they are surprisingly good indeed.
    45mm it is it seems :)

Anyone ever used fisheye for portraits?

9. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    The 45mm Olympus...

Sorry I should have looked at your OP more carefully. The 45mm Olympus is a fabulous lens. Now that I know you do all lot of street photography, I think the Oly is good. Another lens that is quite a bit wider than the 19mm Sigma and is a steal if you pick it up used is the 14mm Panny. It is over $300 new but, people get them in a kit when they buy a body and sell them used often for around $150.00. That lens is a high quality optic and would also do well on the street being very compact and inconspicuous.

Dan

10. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Thanks for the tip! I just bit the bullet on the Oly 45mm — should be here Tuesday (gotta love Prime)!!
    Very excited to receive it :)

My Kit will include:
    Olympus 12-50mm
    Sigma 19mm
    Olympus 45mm

Would trading the Oly 12-50mm for the Pany 14mm be a bad idea?
    I would lose the zoom (which is covered by my Primes) and the weather sealing but I would get f/2.5 at 14mm vs. minimum of f/3.5 for the zoom).

Thanks for the input everyone :)

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I might add the 14/2.5, but I'm hanging onto my 12-50. If I don't know what I'll be shooting, expecting some drizzle, maybe doing a little semi-macro and/or want to shoot at 12mm. That 12-50 may come in very handy. BTW, I have 14, 17 and 45 plus 12-50 & 40-150. The last two don't get used as much, but they're great to have when I need them.

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Another vote for the 14mm and keeping the 12-50 kit lens (and yes I the have 45mm as well).

Because of the difference in f stops I don't think there is any real cross over from the kit lens to the 45mm and for candid shots from a distance the ability to isolate the subject and the handling are real pluses.

I'm keeping the kit lens for the few times I need something wider than the 14mm, need a quick close up (not a strength of the 45mm) or need the weather sealing.

Even when I get the Pana 25mm f1.4 to make up my three set of primes I will keep the kit lens for the reasons stated above.

13. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Hmmm.... Thanks for the input guys.
    I think I'm going to go with your advise and keep the kit 12-50mm and add either the 14mm pany or get the 7.5mm Rokinon.
    I've been eyeing it for a while and figure I might as well get something that much wider than the kit.

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The 45 is a superb lens and great value for money but I find it a little long for most street work.

You might want to look at the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4, it is a superb lens for street work and a great all purpose lens that really compliments the OMD.

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    My street work involves street portraits more and more and it seems you can't beat the 45mm for that (except for the Oly 75mm)

But to your point I use my Sigma 19mm for walking around street photography - surprisingly great!

16. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I do A LOT of street stuff. I almost purely shoot street (aside from my daily stuff on instagram)

I have both sigmas... And i never dared to use the 19. Yeap. Ive owned it for a year and occasionaly use it if someone wants to borrow a camera and a prime. Aside from that, i havent used it personally for a shoot. Its always been the sig 30 that stod out. Yes start up time is crappy but street photographs isnt about surgical sharpness nor techinicalities. Its about being patient, knowing your gear and the right moment.

Its (the sig30) the only reason why i didnt get a 45/1.8.

I wouldnt atest to the samyang since i havent used one... but i have the panny 7-14, which to me, is the best zoom ive ever used for street. Ive been using the panny 14/2.5 and siggy 30/2.8 for more than a year now. Its always been those two. But recently got a 7-14 and i think id never use the 14/2.5 again. The F-stop doesnt matter to me, size doesnt either.

You can visit my site and/or flickr to see some sample shots. Most shots are taken by the 14 30 and 7-14. (On flickr, my first page will show you how much i enjoy using it)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I would strongly encourage you to take the 19mm for a spin out on the streets — I absolutely love it (seems you agree with me as the 30mm is same quality) and youll get some great results out of it! A lot of the shots on my website (see signature) were taken with the 19mm.

After doing more research I ended up ordering the Oly 45mm (should be here tomorrow) since the FL is much more appropriate for portraits (90mm equivalent) than the 30mm (60mm equivalent) of the Sigma.

At least for me :)

18. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    My Oly 45mm has just arrived!
    What a thing of beauty!! <3

6ntwg1.jpg

Sorry about the lame picture I was just too excited not to share! :)
    The Black hood definitely does it for me because:
    1- I like shooting with a hood on
    2- I didn't like the look of the silver lens on black body; but silver w/ black hood <3

Loving it so far!

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice hood, can you share where you got it please?

I purchased the JJC hood for mine, it is good value for money but not the best fit and probably will not last too long as very fragile at the interlock points.

20. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT