Wondering outloud: are there seasonal cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, May 28, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I have a FF and OMD (also RX100). With the spring here, I want to get out and roam. But over the last 4 years, I've always ended up with a full frame camera usually by Halloween. In the past, I've perhaps mistakenly bought and sold my complete FF system.

I think I'm coming to understand that I like a FF camera for the holidays and in the winter, for indoors, for lots of flash use. But in the summer I want light and easy, and available light shooting.

Can there be "seasonal" systems. I'm trying to think of when I will use my FF camera again between now and October, and I'm not coming up with many scenarios.

If it is a seasonal thing -- should I sell the 6D body, but keep the lenses. Bodies lose value quickly. Maybe keep the lens and flash head in storage, and rebuy a FF body again in September.

Anyone else find they use certain cameras in certain seasons?
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    After Labor Day I only use my black cameras.
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    LOL Gary. Now I can't even take the question seriously :wink:

I don't have seasonal cameras, but I do have situational cameras. Each camera has its strengths, I just pick the right gear for where I'm going and what I expect to be doing. I don't think there's any particular seasonal correlation for me, but YMMV depending on what kind of stuff you shoot.
  4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    One of the red Pens for Christmas, definitely.
  5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    My Nikon D90 was a fall camera...

after the fall I bought a D7000 :redface: