Wondering how big/heavy the Pana Leica 25/1.4 will be

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, May 14, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Now that we know the Pana 25/1.4 will be Leica branded, I'm wondering how big and heavy it will be. A previous statement from a Panasonic rep suggested that Leica wasn't down with the idea of software correction of barrel distortion on Leica-branded MFT lenses, and that is one of the tools used to keep lenses like the Pana 20/1.7 small. I'll be disappointed if the MFT 25/1.4 is close to the size/weight of the regular FT 25/1.4.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't see why it can't be the size of the PL45 (just got mine in the mail today), or maybe even a tad smaller.

If it was the size of the PL45, would you buy one? I think I might.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm trying to tell myself to be happy with what I've got, but so far I've not been very convincing.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Isn't that always the battle, lol?

I sat on the same equipment for like the last 6-9 months. I finally cracked and got the PL45. Arrived today. Very nice lens, but I think it doesn't get me much over my OM 50/2.0 macro (except AF). I'm preparing a comparison post for here just for fun. If I sell the PL45, it'll be to try the PL25 when available.

I love my 50/1.8 on my Canon 5D. I've been shooting a lot on the 5D at 2.8, just to see what a 25/1.4 might be like on m43. I'd say it's pretty darn good, if the m43 sensor can keep up. Worth trying, and the EP1 + PL25 has GOT to be lighter than 5D + any lens! :)

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If the 25/1.4 is the size of the PL45 (which makes sense to me), doesn't have IS, and costs about the same as the PL45, I think there will be MANY of us that won't be able to justify the purchase.

The 20/1.7 has set a pretty high bar to clear.