1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wonder why . . . (grip)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellow, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Looking at the OM-D it sure looks like the E-P3 with a hump--similar dimensions, similar heft. Any idea why Olympus didn't design it with an exchangable grip, like the E-P3? An optional larger, beefier grip sure would have addressed many people's gripes with the camera. Heck, they probably could have just designed it to accept the E-P3 grips that are already in production.

Just a random brainwave . . .

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My assumption is that Olympus wants us to shell out bigger dollars for the two part grip they offer, and they figure with this particular camera a fair number of folks will open their wallets.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The E-P3 grip doesn't improve the awkward position of the shutter (just like third party OM-D grips don't).

I much prefer the HLD-6's repositioning of the shutter...even if it costs more it's worth it!

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They should of made a bigger camera. They could of forgone the HLD-6's mid part, and just offer a standard battery grip portion. But I guess Olympus was really pushing the retro feel!

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Olympus wanted to make a NORMAL SIZED camera, like we used to have.

Not these bloated, oversized, fat, dSLRs that have been produced over the last 15 years. It made sense 15 years ago since they couldn't miniaturize electronics enough, but now bloated cameras don't make sense.

It should be possible now to make a 135/35mm format (aka the misnamed "full frame" format) camera the size of an E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Without getting into the argument about the size of the camera, I'm just a little disappointed they didn't modify the design to allow exchangable grips a la the E-P3. The grip they chose seems to resemble the 'small' grip of the E-P3, and I'd have preferred the larger one. I also think it would have been possible to both accommodate the E-P3's exchangable grips AND the special OM-D grip, which really is a different animal--providing additional controls, including a new shutter release.

I certainly see the point about wanting to see more (high-priced) accessories--I'll bet the profit margin on those $300 HLD-6's is pretty darn large. It'd be sad, though, if the decision was based entirely on profit and not on optimizing the camera.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP3 style grips would interfere with the side SD card access, no?

8. TDP

TDP Guest

I recently picked up a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm lens on it at a store that sells such things. Compared to my EM5, it was larger and heavier.

I love the EM5 but it is a small camera, much smaller than a traditional, old school SLR. After spending months with it in my hands the AE-1 seemed huge (I used to own an AE-1 back in the day).

I have not bought or even tried the grip, mostly due to the price.

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Ah, you may be right! Don't remember whether the EP3 grips wrapped around the side or just screwed onto the front.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    6126004086_b615fbcdab.

It would need closer scrutiny. I like the idea, but I wouldn't give up my side-loading SD card slot :)

11. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    It should be thinner than old SLRs, since you no longer need a mirror. It felt thinner than my old Minolta, which to me still seems like one of the best feeling bodies, ever.

12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    For company like Olympus they have to design everything on compromise, and reading the process they do while designing the grip I think they already considering everything. I much rather have the choice of attaching the grip and extra battery than no choice at all. I remember the day when I only have EPL-1 and hoping if only I have the choice of adding more ergonomic grip and extra battery.

13. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    The E-M5 is roughly the same size as my old OM-1n and OM-3T. They were among the smallest and lightest (yet incredibly robust) SLR's of their time. That is one of the things they were known for. I'm sure Oly was looking to build on that legacy.

That said, I had to add a grip (not Oly's) to make it comfortable enough to use on a daily basis.

I would imagine the HDL-6 (?) was their solution for people who want to change the grip and feel of the camera. Too bad it costs so much!