1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

wonder if we'll see a Pana Full Frame?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pellicle, Jul 30, 2015.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

just read this:
    http://www.43rumors.com/thecamerastoretv-confirms-leica-q-is-made-with-panasonic/

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Never say never but I highly doubt it. From what I can gather, Panasonic's contribution to the project had more to do with their technical expertise in AF and OIS. The design aspect was solely Leica. With that said, the Q sells for $4250 and even if Panasonic came out with a Lumix branded version at 60-70% of the Q's price, that would still mean a $2500-3000 camera which would be a tough sell for the brand.

As for the sensor's origin, there's no word other than it is exclusive to Leica.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    You mean like a sony RX1 rival? That'd be great though as much as I believe Panasonic is capable, I doubt it's likely to happen this time since it's not like they release an LX or FZ then there comes the rebranded Leica model, this time the Leica Q does purely look like a Leica, not based on any existing Panasonic model.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think it'd be smart to create an M-mount full frame camera if they really wanted to go full frame. Doubt it would ever happen though.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I doubt we will see a Panasonic branded Q, but we might see a FF Panasonic in some form. If they did, I would certainly consider them (along with Sony) if I ever made the switch to FF. So far, I've been very impressed with the design, quality, durability, and usability of all the Pany lenses and bodies I've had.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The only question is, if they introduce an ILC FF body, what mount will they use because it'll highly be unlikely they'll produce another line of lenses for FF.

An M-mount would be ideal for those who would like to shoot Leica glass without adapters and as a lower cost alternative to Leica bodies. Possibly at the $2000-2500 price point?

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Isn't M-mount only manual focus? From a business stand point, that seems limiting.

8. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Fuji released X100 and X10 before X mount, Sony did the same with RX and FE mount, I think these companies use fixed lens camera to test water and Panasonic could do the same if they want, after all there aren't enough FF mirrorless to choose from and Panasonic could use this opportunity.

If I were Panasonic, I'll make FF lens-M43 body AF converter possibly with focal reducer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I don't understand enough beyond body+lens+flash so not entirely sure what the consequence of this statement is.

Dunno if this marries up with it, but:

If some of the M43 glass out-resolves current sensors available to the system, and adapters can be used to mount 35mm lenses on M43 bodies, could a FF body be produced with an increased flange distance to accommodate M.Zuiko and Lumix G lenses?

Or is that not how it works?

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Lenses don't out resolve sensors. The image circle projected by a 4/3 lens won't cover a FF sensor. Moving the lens farther from the sensor enlarges the circle, but then the lens can't focus to infinity. A camera in the 21st century that doesn't have native AF lenses locks itself into a lunatic fringe buyers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought most of us were here because we didn't buy into the FF is king logic?

I would imagine that most FF mirrorless attempts would run into the same problem that Sony has - lenses too big and expensive.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No, it simply would not work. The imaging circle projected by m4/3 lenses is only half the diameter needed. Increasing the flange distance means focusing could not occur.

Going the other way works with focal reducers because you are starting with a FF lens and putting it on a smaller sensor. But starting with a 2x crop lens and trying to stretch it to a FF sensor would require the opposite of a focal reducer. That is a teleconverter. If you add a telelconverter to all lenses, you've doubled their focal length and f-stop and reduced their resolution. So you've in essence recreated a 2x crop sensor in a very expensive and roundabout way! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it's not how things work, m43 lens has smaller image circle and if you increase the flange distance to cover FF sensor it'll require different design otherwise focusing won't work, also I think it will increase the Fstop.

I was referring to that if Panasonic ever makes FF body and lenses, it'd be better that they make FF lenses compatible on M43 bodies with a converter tube as we all know FF sensor can't be used within m43 mount.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'm here because I really like m43. That I like m43 does not mean I stop liking the other formats I use. Each has benefits and disadvantages. My self I think m43 has more benefits than disadvantages, but there is no king.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Panasonic bringing out a Full Frame camera might be the one thing that would make me consider trying out the format - assuming it is compact like the Sony - for some reason Sony products don't seem to do it for me - something similar from Panasonic with their usual familiar menu system might just grab my attention
    Rob