1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Women | Men

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

women_men.

Just an interesting scene I came across this morning - interesting symmetry - - - but one could also read something into the water fountains as a hidden message or subtle statement (but I'm not going to go there), or that both sides are almost perfectly matched or that women come first. I suppose it is one of those scenes with a range of subtleties that can inflect different meanings to the image.

Rob

• Like Like x 6
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting shot - where was this taken?

3. Robert Watcher

Outside in a public park

Rob

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Thanks, parks around here have much smaller structures. Shaker communities built houses with an entrance for women at one end and men at the other. Women and men were considered complete equals.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i like it
    but i cant stop staring at the line not coming straight down the frame in such a symmetrical type photo

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    having the same problem here:rolleyes:

7. Robert Watcher

That's called "perfection" - - - something I'm not always interested in. :eek: :smile:

Actually - I also took a couple of shots where I was standing right in the middle of the 2 lines that are close to each other, so that the lines come straight down the middle - - - and I found that viewpoint a little boring compared to this one that I chose to process. I like a bit of disunity with unity. A little asymmetrical with the symmetrical to make viewers think and like or not like. It sometimes adds to the subtle messages that can be taken from an image. Just personal choice.

So that you can see that my choice was deliberate - here is the "perfection" shot (although still not perfection even when perfectly aligned :smile: ) - uncropped to see a bit more of the overall scene:
    women_men_perfection.

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  8. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Looks like the public convenience for these people :smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulamyesphotography/7905314666/" title="photo.JPG by Paul Amyes, on Flickr">"1000" height="750" alt="photo.JPG"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Watcher

You nailed that one. So many little nuances. Good eye. :2thumbs:

Rob

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Most interesting is the fact that the men's dringing fountain is higher, but only by the heighth of a brick. Obviously an insignificant amount to make a difference in the comfort of the drinker but the architect or the designer found it necessary to do anyway. Why?

11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Maybe he thought women are beneath men :eek: lol.

I really think you had a good eye to capture that Rob and all the pp make the shot work, I really think the granularity you added is excellent and the post cropping too.

Paul

12. Robert Watcher

Yes - - - inequality? (shoot - I said I wasn't going to go there LOL )

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to work in health and safety and had to deal with ergonomics. There are tables called anthropometric tables which set out details of the various dimensions for the human body. There's separate data for males and females, and even for different countries due to different population mixes. I suspect the tap height was set at around elbow height and the median elbow heights for males and females in the US are 1105 and 1020 mm respectively. That's an 85 mm, or a fraction over 3", difference in elbow height between males and females.

The bricks my house is built from are 80 mm high and, if I add in a bit for the mortar between them, the difference in height from one row of bricks to the next is pretty close to 85 mm.

A one brick difference in mounting heights for male and female drinking fountains sounds about right to me if the architect seriously considered the difference in average height between males and females and tried to mount the respective fountains at a suitable height for each sex.

Sorry but I couldn't resist digging out one of my old reference books with a set of anthropometric tables in order to see just what the difference would be. I'm impressed with the architect's attention to detail.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ...either that or the plumber stuffed it !

• Like Like x 1