Woman stabbed to death in Los Angeles after photographing panhandlers

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by GeBathan, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    What a sad reflection of the world today and also the need for caution when taking street photos especially of groups who may feel they are less part of society than others.

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    that is terrible!.... and on the same subject, I got approached today, by a old guy when i was shooting while waiting for the bus. he crossed the whole street just to eff me in my face, i instead said "you have a good morning sir" and he walked away.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Darwin award winner for 2013.

5. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    What do you mean by that? A Darwin award is normally awarded to people who get themselves killed out of stupidity.
    Do you want to suggest that she could've anticipated that taking a photo of someone leads to getting stabbed?

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes. Exactly. She had a jaw dropping lack of judgement. Going up to panhandlers, with obscenity laced signs, with a cell phone to wave in their faces to take pics is a stupid thing to have done. The best she could hope for, without giving them money, is that her phone would be stolen.

I think it's pretty clear, she did something REALLY dumb.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    "After pulling out her cell phone and snapping a photograph of the transients, the men began demanding money in exchange for the photos. When the two women refused to hand over money, they were attacked, and Calderon was stabbed in the torso. "
    Probably not a Darwin award, probably just expected everyone to behave like human beings ... which was her mistake, obviously.
    Not much detail given of the murderers, that's weird. No mention of a police hunt either. Something smells decidedly low quality about this journalism, like they just can't be bothered.

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Downtown is a sketchy place in general. A local should have known better.

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The LA Times story mentions that the two men were arrested.

In general you should be careful around people like that, while many are down on their luck there is a large portion of the homeless population with mental illness and drug problems who will act in unpredictable ways.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This is why we have telephoto lenses ...

11. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I never snap a picture of a panhandler or homeless person without a verbal agreement with them to do so. And those agreements usually include my giving them something in return. This is a very sad case.

12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Naive, maybe. Dumb, maybe a little too insensitive.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The problem is, this lady wasn't stabbed in downtown, but at Hollywood and Highland which is the main strip of Hollywood Blvd. where millions of tourist visit each year!

14. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    I shoot a lot of street stuff and never photograph homeless people.

I cringe everytime I see a street photo of someone who is clearly homeless and/or passed out. They really have nowhere to hide or to escape from the eyes of everyone else and I find it objectionable to make photographs of them as some kind of trophy.

I didn't care for the baseless comment in the article to the effect of taking pictures of the homeless becoming a fad in the photography world. Where the hell did that come from?

Regardless of the tone of the article toward 'photography' I feel bad for the woman's luck and inability to 'read the room' in her choice of photographic subjects. It is perhaps more unfortunate that she didn't exercise some common sense when approaching that group of men before whipping out her phone to share these guys' images on Instagram or Facebook.

15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yeah it's a touristy area - it can still get a little hairy at times. The city in general is fairly sketchy.

Edit: I saw a guy get shanked with a broken beer bottle on Hollywood Boulevard once, in broad daylight no less.

16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    This is sad and unfortunate :(. IMHO, no matter how prepared/attentive you are, a lot of times it's just pure luck (or lack of it) which can land you in difficult situations.

I think I know where it came from. Having spent most of my life in India, I know how almost all "budding photographers" in India end up shooting a lot of homeless guys/beggars. I have been guilty of it too. However, I have found that people in India are generally are pretty friendly and wouldn't harass you as much for money, unless you're a foreign national I guess.

17. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Classic victim blaming. The guys who stabbed her aren't a force of nature, they are people who are responsible for their actions. If she had jumped off a waterfall it would have been dumb - this was just an attempt to have an interaction with humans. Not to say that people shouldn't be cautious, but it is never someones "fault" if they are hurt by strangers.

Around here in Boulder, homeless folk compete to make the most outrageous signs so that people will approach them to take pictures (and usually give them some money since they feel guilty about approaching them but NOT giving them money).

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    When you have no job, no house, no food...behavior can at times be unpredictable...

19. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    And this does bring up an interesting point about street photography - I know that in public places you can legally be photographed for a variety of purposes, but I've never been comfortable photographing people without their consent (unless they are performing, or otherwise placing themselves on public display intentionally). Even in street photography, I either choose vantages where people are not identifiable, or I try to get a little confirmation from the subject - sometimes as simple as me just holding up my camera with a "questioning" look on my face.

As for homeless subjects being a "fad", I wouldn't say that is true - some of the most moving images in American culture are of people during the depression, which is when photography really was able to shine a light on the suffering some people were facing. It was a validating use of photojournalism to share people's experiences. That said, I do see some people's vacation photos and the "old man with hard features but sadness in his eyes" seems sometimes to be an obligatory shot.

20. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    And quite likely, untreated mental illness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.