1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wollensak 35mm f2 Raptar... and Many Adapters... On the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This is a first as far as I know.

A 35mm F2 lens in Contax RF mount. This lens was made originally in FASTAX mount, a bizarre 1950s bayonet mount for high-speed movie cameras.

I took a J-12 in Contax mount that had some marred glass, took the optics module out, bored out the barrel, and cemented in the Raptar. It looks like it covers a full frame, using the through the lens viewer. I set the optics to agree with the RF of a Contax. I do not know of a Fast 35mm lens in Contax mount, although I shimmed a Nikkor 35/2.5 for a friend for his Contax.

[​IMG]

At F2:

[​IMG]

This lens renders much like a Canon 35/2 in Leica Mount.

F2 Again:

[​IMG]

F4:

[​IMG]

Infinity at F4:

[​IMG]

Not bad for a Junk lens, total of $25 including the J-12.

I tried it on the M8, covered the full frame without vignetting. I'll try it on a Contax IIa next. Unlike a J-12, this lens does not extend past the Mount.

• Like Like x 1
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I have no idea what's happened with the mechanics of the adapting..but I like it!

3. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Oh, man!
    1) Great to see you're still up to the usual optical shenanigans.
    2) What text is the lens sitting on in the first image?
    3) When I saw the Wolly name I had a mental image of an LF lens :) Be fun if I could adapt my Wolly 6.5/9.25/16" triple convertible somehow :eek:

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The book is "Photographic Lenses", Neblette, 1973. The 1965 edition has more block diagrams in it. A great resource.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Cool. Thanks for the info, Brian. I just ordered a copy of the 1965 edition; it'll be nice to have as a reference.

6. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    Nice conversion Brian and quite nice results!