Wohoo! Sold another OM-D today!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Neftun, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    First week back in business in electronics retailing after a long child leave (we are lucky that way around here) and I was thrilled to sell my first em-5 since coming back.

The fella was looking for a video-cam, saw the omd on display, and got curious. After showing the speed, size, IBIS, and after slapping a pana 14mm on it for good measure, it was sold. He took a oly 45 to go while he was at it. Told me he had a canon at home, but it never saw any use.

Not looking to discuss much here really, just wanted to share a good sales-experience. We may not yet use mainstream gear, but I can tell; anyone with an open mind who sees m43, will be in for a treat:) but you all know that...

• Like Like x 14
  2. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Sold another:) man, gotta place in another order, we're out of stock! (Not a bad thing...) now, only to convince the management that e-m10, and gx7 are sellable products:) In our chain of stores, I have to sell m43 twice: once to management and another time to the customers...

• Like Like x 5
  3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    If your good at sales and know your product and educate the customer :)
    Consumers will soon realize how great the M4/3 are

Congrats hope ya sell a ton :)

I think brick and mortar camera shops are great sadly to many think they need a dslr so being able to walk in and handle and get educated is something lacking these days :)

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I agree. Everytime I show my EM5 to people they are immediately interested. Had a guy the other day who was a pro w/ Nikon 4ds, interested in m43, but usually it's novices that take notice.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The EM-10 is the best value proposition that Olympus has put out yet, IMHO. Get some of those in stock! :)

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Happyfish: I don't know what you mean by "brick and mortar" shop, but if you love them, I guess its a good thing.
    Our shop is a general electronics store, 2500m2 (27000square feet) with about 100m2(1100 square feet) or so dedicated to photogear. We've got tons of compacts and a display for 20 systemcameras with glasscabinets above them.

This is all good stuff, but the central management are audio/video guys who got photo handed to them. So we mostly sell very mainstream stuff. But when the em5 came along I had to get a hold of them:)

A question to the community:

I any of you walked into a store like ours, what would like/hope to see of m43 on display? Lenses, bodies, accessories?

7. Whenever I see displays of both Panasonic and Olympus Micro 4/3 gear in the same store, there is never any real indication that they are in fact part of the same system. In some instances they'll even be separated by another brand display.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Combined kits in different configurations to show off how versatile m4/3 can be, e.g:
    Compact: GM1+12-32mm
    R/F: E-P5+VF-4+17mm, GX7+14mm
    All-rounder: E-M5+12-40mm
    Portrait: E-M1+HLD-7+35-100mm+FL-600R
    Video: GH3+14-140+shotgun mic in a full video setup (should please your audio/video bosses)
    And then some way of demonstrating the impressive range of lenses m4/3 wields. You could also have some adaptors handy and show off mounting some other lenses!

• Like Like x 1
  9. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    brick and mortar just means a real store where you walk in and talk to folks
    not just buying on Amazon :)
    we used to have a few where you can walk in talk to someone handle things etc.. hope that makes more sense :)

for me walking into a store to see for say M4/3 on display are just a few nice lens and the bodies and someone that actually knows what they are talking about :)

and a way to demonstrate the IBIS maybe :)
    a way to show Panasonics great video ability ?

hard to say my needs are quite different

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    An irrelevant question, in a good way. :smile:
    If I walked into your store and took time to understand that the salesmen were right-thinking humans who knew about cameras ... hey you've got a sale!
    This is such a rare thing.

To really answer your question is easy : both VF-2 and VF-4, open and able to be mounted on the bodies.

11. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    haha and here I just traded my EM1 for a Canon. Oh wellllll.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've purchased a LOT of my gear from my local brick n' mortar store!
    Great service & there's nothing like supporting the small business too....:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah I wish I had a good one near me ? went in to one and the guy seemed bugged I asked to see a few things ? and I had cash in pocket ?

sad where I am from you support local big time but not here it seems ?

a couple times when I would get new bags was fun to go to a store that was huge and try out your gear in bags to get the one you like then go buy it :)
    I was in Seattle but this was back in the 80s but Glazers was the most fun store next to pine street cycle :) which was a fun road bike shop back then :) ahhahaha
    I saw glazers name still around so hoping they are still as good as they were they had a great walk in fridge for film back then which was nice and pick up my pro packs nice and cold back then my fridge was half film though :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Wow .. that guy you traded with is soo lucky .. Got himself a great camera and got rid of a Canon too.