1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wobbly E-M5 IBIS with Rokinon 7.5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dermaus, Nov 21, 2013.

1. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Haven't had a chance to do more than a couple minutes of testing, but I noticed yesterday when composing my first shots with the Rokinon 7.5mm FE on my E-M5, the stabilization was anything but. I have IS set to turn on with a half press of the shutter and I could certainly hear it whirring when I did just that, but it was as wobbly as a drunk leaving the bar he went to after getting fired from his job. I thought I somehow broke the IBIS on the camera, so I replaced the lens with the Oly 45 to check, but the IBIS worked like a charm again. Also, the resulting photos from the Roki were fine. I don't recall my shutter speed, except that it was more than adequate for a handheld shot.

I know that I can turn IS off with a half press of the shutter, but as this is a manual focus lens, it would be prefereble to me to have a stable image in the viewfinder/screen with which to compose. I plan on checking it out again when I get home from work, but thought I'd chuck this out there now to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I can't possibly fathom how using that particular lens, or any lens for that matter, would cause this erratic behavior in my E-M5 IBIS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Note that with the Rokinon, there's no electronic communication to the camera so you have to tell IBIS what focal length you're shooting. On native lenses (i.e. the 45) this happens automatically.

You can do this by going to the IS setting (bottom left of the INFO menu), select IS 1, then press INFO again to tell it what focal length. For the Rokinon you'll want to set it to 8 (the lowest setting).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Personally I'd set IBIS to OFF with a really short focal length lens.
    Also what Joel said : it might be set to anything, since the camera doesn't know which lens is on the front!
    Do you want to go to the hassle of telling it to stabilise 7 and a half millimetres? Switch it off.

4. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Gotcha. It was an impulse pull off the road, snap a photo, kind of thing. I slapped on the lens and didn't think about setting anything up on the camera. I'll try that out. Thanks!

5. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    A wide angle lens gives you lots of DOF, but that nothing to do with the purpose of image stabilization. It's designed to offset the effects of camera shake, which can degrade the renderings of any lens, regardless of focal length.

My 7.5/3.5 works fine with my ep5's ibis... provided I advise it of the focal length of the non-cpu lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I'll bet that's what you have done.

I did the same thing having shot some moon shots with 1000mm I stuck a 28/2 vivitar on the camera, switched on, and watched the image on the screen 'dance'!

• Like Like x 1
  7. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    If you manually set it to 7.5 mm, does it automatically change back to whatever value is provided by the electronic lenses? Or do you have to "disable" the manually specified focal length when changing lenses?

8. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    This just happened to me last week with the E-M1 and the Rokinon 7.5 FE lens. Once I manually set the focal length to 8mm (no 7.5 option), stabilization worked as expected. Native lenses with electronic coupling automatically set the appropriate focal length, you just have to remember to change if you put on a manual lens with a different focal length.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, if a native u43 lens is mounted, the focl length is read by the camera and the IBIS adjusts automatically. You only need to change the manual IBIS setting if you use different non-coupled lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    One more thing about the E-M5 I wasn't aware of. Thanks dermaus for starting this thread. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    Finally able to test it out again, this time setting the focal length as suggested, and....it worked! Thanks for all the help. Glad you found this useful, too, Web-Betty.

12. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    just to clarify further, adapted 43 lenses are also read and adjusted automatically, as well as the native m43 ones.

13. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Question on adjusting the focal length

I do have a question--when setting the focal length for manual focus lenses, do I need to double the number? For example, I'm currently shooting with a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 lens. When I manually set the focal length, do I choose 50 or 100?

14. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    No. Set it to the actual focal length of the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  15. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    No just put 50

• Like Like x 1
  16. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I did set the IBIS for the 15mm BCL when I first got the E-M1, and then switched to the 4/3 14-54mm II.
    When I switched back to the 15mm BCL, the camera IBIS was set to the "last used manual setting" of 15mm.
    I haven't yet tried the 4/3 Rokinon 8mm fisheye. I like the idea of not having to always use a tripod.