1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

With the Oly 12-40 f2.8, can I get rid of my Oly 12 and Oly 45?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by perpetualjon, Jun 15, 2014.

1. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I'm looking really hard at my first zoom lens. The Olympus 12-40mm f2.8. I've been getting tired of swapping back and fourth between my two primes (Oly 12/2.0 and 45/1.8) when I work and I'm thinking that the 12-40 may be the perfect choice. I could carry that lens and my fisheye and start thinking about a long lens finally. I thought I'd work more with primes but my style of shooting has evolved to where a zoom may be the better choice.

However, will I experience a degradation in image quality using this zoom over the wonderful primes I currently have? I know I'll give up a little on the long shots (going from a 45 to a 40) and also a bit on the aperture going from a 2.0 to 2.8, but does that sound significant to you guys?

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Its easy. Put your 45 at f/2.8 for one day at shooting and then switch to lower fstops 2.8-1.8. If you arent missing that sweet dof separation then youre fine with the zoom :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    General consensus seems to be that you can probably get rid of your 12 (if you don't find yourself in low-light a lot) because the 12-40 is best at the wide end. The 45, on the other hand, most would recommend you keep. The difference from 2.8 to 1.8 at telephoto lengths on :43: is fairly significant in terms of DOF; and the 12-40 gets softer at the telephoto end. Not to mention you probably won't be able to sell the 45 for much given that everyone has one.

Your experience may vary, depending on your usage of those two lenses.

• Like Like x 2