With the Oly 12-40 f2.8, can I get rid of my Oly 12 and Oly 45?

perpetualjon

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm looking really hard at my first zoom lens. The Olympus 12-40mm f2.8. I've been getting tired of swapping back and fourth between my two primes (Oly 12/2.0 and 45/1.8) when I work and I'm thinking that the 12-40 may be the perfect choice. I could carry that lens and my fisheye and start thinking about a long lens finally. I thought I'd work more with primes but my style of shooting has evolved to where a zoom may be the better choice.

However, will I experience a degradation in image quality using this zoom over the wonderful primes I currently have? I know I'll give up a little on the long shots (going from a 45 to a 40) and also a bit on the aperture going from a 2.0 to 2.8, but does that sound significant to you guys?

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
Its easy. Put your 45 at f/2.8 for one day at shooting and then switch to lower fstops 2.8-1.8. If you arent missing that sweet dof separation then youre fine with the zoom :)

Boneyard

Mu-43 Regular
General consensus seems to be that you can probably get rid of your 12 (if you don't find yourself in low-light a lot) because the 12-40 is best at the wide end. The 45, on the other hand, most would recommend you keep. The difference from 2.8 to 1.8 at telephoto lengths on :43: is fairly significant in terms of DOF; and the 12-40 gets softer at the telephoto end. Not to mention you probably won't be able to sell the 45 for much given that everyone has one.

Your experience may vary, depending on your usage of those two lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom